itunes won't work

Reaction score
Hello everyone..this is beaglin..Im new to the forum..my itunes has not worked in months. everytime i attempt to launch it and hit play for a song it cuts off and the screen says" the application itunes quit unexpectedly..it offers to re-open,close or send a report..I have a power mac G5..I don't know what to do..I saw in a troubleshooting column that I needed to erase quicktime player..did that downloaded itunes 7.1.1 and re=downloaded quicktime 7.1.. same deal..it quits...if anyone can help me I would be so appreciative I have so much music and samples I'm trying to access because I produce...thanks in advance..beaglin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Find and delete the file:

com.apple.iTunes.plist

Then restart iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
If that doesn't work (com.apple.itunes.plist is in ~/Library/Preferences in case you don't know where to look)

it could be the iTunes library file that has become corrupted

If that's the case, and deleting the plist file doesn't work, best thing to do first is drag all your tracks out of your ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder (just to be safe)
Then you need to delete the files :
~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml
~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library
You can then relaunch iTunes and see if that's fixed it. Then, reimport all your tracks back into iTunes and you should be back as you were

[nb: ~/ means your user area (eg. /Users/beaglin if beaglin was your login name)]

Reaction score
so, i was having the same problem as beaglin- i try to open my itunes but as soon as it opens, the program "unexpectedly quits". tried both suggestions above to fix my itunes but neither worked. i've redownloaded the quicktime standalone, redownloaded itunes 1.7, deleted the plist file, and the two files listed above...

please help!

Reaction score
Are you opening iTunes from the Dock or from your Apps folder. Try launching it from your Apps if not ...

Reaction score
My iTunes wont open anymore since i downloaded 7.1.1 ive had problems :( can anyone help im running 10.3.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
First thing i'd suggest if you can't open an app is check whether it's when logged in as a particular user or as all users.
To do this, create a new user account and log in as that. Launch the app and see if you have the same problem.
This should help to isolate the problem down to the application, the user area, the OS's library or the System folder.

Basically, if it runs in the new user area it's a problem in the user area that you were originally trying to run it in.
If it doesn't and even after completely removing the app, running while logged in as a different user, and reinstalling it's not a problem with the app but with the system or library folder
If it's in the system or library folder it may be easiest to do an archive and reinstall to fix things up

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.