Fios connection

Reaction score
I am getting Fios install today and they are insisting on installing their router
ActionTec M1424WR,my dilemma is I want to still use my Airport Extreme router,is there a way to piggyback them together?

Tony

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am getting Fios install today and they are insisting on installing their router
ActionTec M1424WR,my dilemma is I want to still use my Airport Extreme router,is there a way to piggyback them together?

Tony

Sure. Run an Ethernet cable from one of the ports on the Actiontec switch to the Internet port on the Airport Extreme.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just supply a modem, but it's not a big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Just plug your airport into the router they supplied you.

make sure you turn the wirless of on the one they gave you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The router they provide is also the modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The router they provide is also the modem.

are you sure? because I can plug directly into my Fios Conection bypassing the router and it still works... I though they just insisted on the router for security reasons.. however, i still do use the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it was just the way they set it up for me because I have a Coax cable going into the Actiontec modem because we have no computers near our fiber box and I wired my house myself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it was just the way they set it up for me because I have a Coax cable going into the Actiontec modem because we have no computers near our fiber box and I wired my house myself

hmm.. i wondered what that coax was for.. I have ethernet an ethernet going into mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I'm planning on getting FIOS where I live and I certainly hope that their router is compatible with my Mac(s). I just switched out my wired linksys with a wireless that I was previously using as a WAP and noted a significant speed-up with my DSL.

Of course, that could be because the wireless router (also linksys) is much newer and has a more recent firmware revision. Still, I'd hate to have to piggyback my wireless off of theirs since it might slow it down.

Or maybe not; FIOS is supposed to be so fast you wouldn't notice. :bomb:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm planning on getting FIOS where I live and I certainly hope that their router is compatible with my Mac(s). I just switched out my wired linksys with a wireless that I was previously using as a WAP and noted a significant speed-up with my DSL.

Of course, that could be because the wireless router (also linksys) is much newer and has a more recent firmware revision. Still, I'd hate to have to piggyback my wireless off of theirs since it might slow it down.

Or maybe not; FIOS is supposed to be so fast you wouldn't notice. :bomb:

I don't think that would be of concern. You're still at 100Mb between the two routers. I know FIOS offers some high-bandwidth packages, but I don't think they go that high.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I don't think that would be of concern. You're still at 100Mb between the two routers. I know FIOS offers some high-bandwidth packages, but I don't think they go that high.

Now that I think about it, I was at 10Mb because of the hub I had between one room and the router. Now it's straight 100mb or whatever the Airport can speak at with the wireless (b) router. I had some pretty ancient (comparitively) equipment even if it was kind of bleeding edge at the time. Heck, my first home network all routed into an old Linux box that acted as a dial up gateway for all the other machines in my house. I didn't care if the hub was 10 or 100 since the dial-up to the rest of the world was 56kbps. Good times (NOT!)

Either way I'm pretty sure FIOS will kick some tail whenever I get around to ordering it. And not having to worry about routing (heh) wires will be very cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which package are you going to get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wireless b only goes at 11mbps. The router that comes with the service does 802.11g which is 54mbps. I actually like the router a lot, the admin functions are incredibly powerful and intuitive on it

Reaction score
Having FiOS I can provide some feedback. The trick here is to not use the router Verizon supplies you. By default mac address security, known as Port security it turned on by verizon. This is a decent security feature if someone was to splice your connection. This means only he mac address assigned to the verizon router, or the first deviced plugged in is what's allowed - initally. Now since I haven't purchased a Airport extreme yet I can't say for certain, but with my Linksys I simply cloned the address of the verizon D-Link router and it works, also as a hack tip this is how you by pass any mac / port security - clone the mac address. BTW I hate D-Link, and asked Verizon not to put it on my Network!!! Anyway, I'm hoping when I get my Airport extreme it will allow me to perform mac cloning... Anyone have insight to this?

OP
A
Reaction score
I am getting 20/5 up for speed ,I did hook up the Airport to the Actiontec but can't get to the net,maybe I need to programmed the Actiontec to detec the airport's mac address? I am trying to do this with minimal interruptions (family gets upset when the net goes down,lol)

Tony

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am getting 20/5 up for speed ,I did hook up the Airport to the Actiontec but can't get to the net,maybe I need to programmed the Actiontec to detec the airport's mac address? I am trying to do this with minimal interruptions (family gets upset when the net goes down,lol)

Tony

Make sure the cable is going between one of the network ports (not the Internet port) on the Actiontec to the Internet port on the Airport Express. If that's not the problem, you may need to just bite the bullet and tell Verizon that you want to use your own wireless router and that you need just a modem and not a combined router/modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Tony
See if you can disable DHCP on the Airport and not have it not act as a gateway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.