I desperately need help!(ram related)

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just recently switched to a MacBook, the bare minimum 1.83 ghz 512 ram etc. It's great, but running a little slow...

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1) What is the best to use? I'm probably just going to have iChat, Word and a web browser open most of the time. Should I go to 2gb(it's a ton of $!) or just stick with 1gb?

2) I'm confused on how this works. Is it possible to have 1.5 gb?(i.e. if I have 512 right now, and buy a 1gb stick, will 1.5 work fine?)

3) Is it easy to install, and does it void the laptop warranty?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
1) 2GB is going to make the whole system snappier... but for what you are doing, 1GB is going to be fine( especially if you're a bit tight on funds at the moment)... you can always upgrade later...

2) 1.5GB is possible, and will be a little quicker than 1GB... Long story short... it IS better to have matching RAM (sizes)... but not too big of a deal.

3) It is beyond easy to install yourself.... It will NOT void your warranty.

By the way... not ALL "milk is white" :D:D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
With what you plan to use your MacBook for, 1 GB will do. I have a 1GB and there are times that I have several softwares open at the same time and it doesn't cause any problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
If you install a 1gb ram stick on your macbook now technically you'd have 1gig+256mb or ram. The macbooks come stock with 2x256mb ram sticks. You'd have to remove one of those sticks leaving you with 1.25 gigs of ram, like me ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
If you install a 1gb ram stick on your macbook now technically you'd have 1gig+256mb or ram. The macbooks come stock with 2x256mb ram sticks. You'd have to remove one of those sticks leaving you with 1.25 gigs of ram, like me ;)

Aren't you supposed to have both ram slots equal, though? I heard it hurts the computer if they're not.

I'm still a little confused, however. If there are 2 slots, 256 in each right now, why can't I buy 2x512 ones and have 768 in each slot, thus 1.5 gb in all?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
in my ibook i have a 512 and a 256 to make 768 - works fine.

but apple did that so pretty expensive.

it wont hurt your computer if you have two difference types of ram in your computer.

cheers :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Aren't you supposed to have both ram slots equal, though? I heard it hurts the computer if they're not.

I'm still a little confused, however. If there are 2 slots, 256 in each right now, why can't I buy 2x512 ones and have 768 in each slot, thus 1.5 gb in all?

Thanks!

There is a benefit to having matching RAM... but a non-matching will not hurt.

You only have TWO slots, so you can't have 256 AND 512 in ONE slot.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Thanks!

This can be confusing because this was true of older memory buses. It is not a "must" to have matching modules with modern memory buses. However, in dual-channel capable machines, having matched modules will allow for faster throughput. Is there a tangible difference? Not really, I don't believe the average user would ever know the difference. It's when that extra 30 seconds of processing time in Photoshop really counts that you might want to think about it. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
I too am thinking of upgrading my RAM, and also terrified of the prospect! but have read the guide someone posted on another thread and it's looks reasonably easy! However, can anyone recommend the best one for my Macbook at a decent price! I'm only after 1GB initially, should be plenty for my needs!

I'm UK based and my Mac is the same as 'milk is white'! 1.83 ghz 512 ram

Sorry for mini thread hijack!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I purchased 1gb or ram for my macbook. Originally, I had taken out both of the 256 modules and just had the 1 gb or ram. After a few days of seeing both of the 256 on my desk not being used, i decided to put one of the modules back in. I had taken them both out because I saw that unmatched ram damages performance. After putting the ram back in I now have a total of 1.256. I don't see any slowdown for unmatched ram. I think it may be a little faster. Using unmatched ram may cost a little bit of performance, but that slowdown is overrun by the performance upgrade of having extra ram. As far as good ram, i don't know where in the UK to get ram. I am using transcend ram in my macbook. I got mine from 18004memory.com. Bad, Bad, Bad experience using them. Took over a month to recieve my ram. I tried to cancel after 2 weeks of waiting with no shipping update. E-mailed them to cancel, and recieved an e-mail back saying that the ram had shipped but they could not supply a tracking number, so the order could not be cancelled. After recieving my ram a month after ordering it, I looked at the postmark, and saw that the ram shipped AFTER I tried to cancel. I was going to send it back, but decided to keep it and just not deal with them. Anyway, they are U.S. based so not a problem for you. But I use transcend ram and like it very much. Maybe mac-forums can start a business review thread, so U.S. based, U.K. based, apple resale, and third party vendors can be reviewed? Learned a lesson though, Cheapest is not always best!!!!, The ram is great, Transcend is ALWAYS good, but the vendor sucked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.