Powerbook 12", 15", 17"?

J

Joeytpg

Hi guys, i'm looking foward to switching from PC to a Mac this year (Yup i'm still a PC user, bue i've never been a Mac basher) but after getting sick with my windows f*kin' up, and the PC just blowing off, i've decided to switch. Later this yeah i'll star a Masters program in Spain and i need a Notebook, a GOOD portable Computer that won't give me trouble, specially away from home (Dominican Republic) where i have A LOT of friends that can help me fix my computer. But alone by myself i can't allow that. Also my master's on Advertisement....so a lot of graphics there.

anyways.... i was considering a Powerbook...but i really need help, can anyone post me a msg. describing each powerbook? 12" 15" 17" and the dif. between the combo and the super drive etc. etc.???? PLEASE! :eek:
i'm new to MAC use and i want a solid computer with a solid system, and fast response....so far MAC seems to be the right choice.....can anyone help me with this? :)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well the most popular is the 15" ...its got the most balance of power and size
The 17" many consider to big for portability but its still fine
The 12" most people consider to have too small of a screen to get much work done

Combo Drive is a DVD player and CD Burner
Superdrive is both of those as well as a DVD Burner which if you want to make dvds using iDVD can be useful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The super drive is a high performance (DVD-R/CD-RW) The combo drive is a DVD-ROM/CD-RW The 15 and 17 can hold up to 2 gigs RAM and the 12 1.25 I have tried the 12 in the nearby Apple store and I love its compact design! You I'm sure won't be dissappointed!Macs have a different maintenance (you may want to keep this info)
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed. Enjoy!
:)

OP
S

Sirchief

Go to Apple.com and click the hardware tab and view the nicely layed out tables they have showing the features and specifications of all the models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
witeshark said:
Macs have a different maintenance (you may want to keep this info) repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed. Enjoy!

LOL witeshark - You might want to consider putting that in your signature, since it seems to pop up in most of your posts. :p

OP
J

Joeytpg

Sirchief said:
Go to Apple.com and click the hardware tab and view the nicely layed out tables they have showing the features and specifications of all the models.

yup i did that, thanks! :D

i think this is going to be a good choice...........some people tell me that MACs f*ck up too, just as PC's but hey, i'm willing to try new things....and who know......maybe i'll get hooked up!!......THAT MANY people can't be wrong about what they say regarding macs! :D

hey, by the way........have you guys noticed that there ain't NO WEBSITES nor FORUMS that have info on MAC users Switching to a PC??..........i wrote on google.com "mac users switching to PC" and NUTHIN!...but try it the other way around....UFFFF tons and tons of websites.........that's how i found this one! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yup :) and all you've heard on Macs destabalizing like pc is crap. Macs that are maintained simply don't! They are in fact a BSD Unix system with a sweet graphic interface and a sweet command line (terminal) I love my Mac and by the way my Mac has been up time since I got it just after Christmas :) (Sleep when not in use) :D

OP
T

TylerMoney

I have the 12" and it's amazing..if you're going to be running around a lot, I'd suggest it...I do graphics work on it..and haven't really faced any problems with screen size...sometimes it be nice to have more screen for the adobe suit, but I just love the 12" so much, It doesn't really ever become an issue...

OP
S

StarManta

If possible, get your book some time before you have to leave the US, in case there's a problem... from what I hear, getting tech support overseas is a b*tch.

OP
J

Joeytpg

actually i DO live out of the U.S. i live in Dominican Republic...........but we DO have a Mac support store over here.....and i bet there is one in Spain as well.....

i mean c'mon guys...Mac MUST be everywhere!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah I's say so -- my Mac e-mail newsletter comes from Norway there are plenty of Macs there! :) :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.