some switcher questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33GHz Intel C2D MBP, 3GB RAM,200GB drive
hello everyone.
first id like to say this forum was the primary motivation for me to switch, and after testing a MBP with Parallels and XP i was sold. (actually, when i saw the MBP start up time was all of 20 secs or so, i was basically sold from the start, hah)

anyway, i just sold my HP and custom ordered a MBP arriving next week.
ive copied all my data onto countless cd's which is no problem. as for music, i have sooo many mp3s on cd that i worry about how much of a strain on the drive this transferring process will be.

I have an Ipod(pc format) with all of my music, is it possible to transfer directly from a PC IPOD to a new MBP?

also, when running XP on the MBP, am i vulnerable to all of the same spyware/etc as i would be if i were running xp on a pc?

and lastly,
i compute from bed when at home, with the laptop on my lap and it can get quite hot. do any of those 'laptop cooling trays' that you sit the laptop on actually work for a MBP since there are no vents under the unit itself?

thanks for fielding all my 'switcher' questions and thanks for the help.

hakuna matada!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Well I just switched and I also had a PC formatted iPod when I switched. All of my music and files were on a PC formatted hard drive. When the MBP came I just plugged it in and copied it to the MBP. The macs can read the PC hard drive but can't write to them.

I run Parallels to run XP. Yes you are vulnerable to all the same stuff but it only affects the windows part and not the mac. So I go by the get in and out theory. Turn on windows to do what I have to do and get out. heh heh. Plus once you are used to mac window isn't very interesting anymore.

The MBP that I just got does get pretty hot on the bottom when doing a lot of things. I think there are heat sinks in the bottom to expel heat.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
use it on a lapdesk if you're going to use it in bed. don't worry about a cooling tray, as long as it's on a hard surface large enough to fit the mbp on.

if you do a search on "lapdesk" here, you'll find plenty of ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
As far as the iPod issue goes. If the iPod is formatted to Windows, your Mac will be able to update it (add/remove songs). I suggest an app caleld Senuti. This program allows you to take songs off any Windows/Mac formatted iPod safely.

Once you have all your music/movies/pics off your iPod, just format it to mac and let iTunes do the rest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.