Good Options for Future College Student?

Reaction score
I am planning on making the great switch from Windows to Mac this summer for college. But after deciding on the vanity issues (what color -- white!; what laptop sleeve -- from freepeople!) I noticed that the hardware issue is my greatest weakness.

Any suggestions for a future history major?

Please & Thank You,
Ayumi.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am planning on making the great switch from Windows to Mac this summer for college. But after deciding on the vanity issues (what color -- white!; what laptop sleeve -- from freepeople!) I noticed that the hardware issue is my greatest weakness.

Any suggestions for a future history major?

Please & Thank You,
Ayumi.

It depends on what you're going to need to run. Tell us a little bit about what software you intend to use. Have you been able to obtain any of the course syllabi to determine the computing needs?

Reaction score
What do you plan on doing with the computer? Will it be used for general things like writing papers, email and web surfing?

If so, a MacBook with at least 1 gig of RAM would fit the bill nicely. If you are into digital media, a larger HDD would be a good upgrade. It's not necessary though. An external HDD is a nice option.

If you are planning on buying this summer, you will probably be getting Leopard, the new Mac OS. It may be worth your while to wait until it's released. It will save you some money on the upgrade costs. We may also see new MacBook hardware this Spring or Summer.

The best advice is to get the nicest computer you can comfortably afford. Future-proofing is always a good idea. Apple Care is something you should strongly consider.

Most importantly... Don't forget about your student discount!

OP
D
Reaction score
It depends on what you're going to need to run. Tell us a little bit about what software you intend to use. Have you been able to obtain any of the course syllabi to determine the computing needs?

I will need it to write papers, check/send email, listen/buy music, use a Canon Powershot digital camera and watch movies since I don't want to bring a television.

Reaction score
You may want to reconsider the TV. I wouldn't have survived. :black:

OP
D
Reaction score
Hehehe! I don't watch that much television since most of my favorite shows are british! Though, now that I think of it ... I do own a PS2, and maybe, just maybe, I might consider bring it with me. :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I will need it to write papers, check/send email, listen/buy music, use a Canon Powershot digital camera and watch movies since I don't want to bring a television.

Your needs are very basic. I would recommend saving money on high-end hardware. A standard MacBook with 1GB of RAM should serve you well. Do get the SuperDrive for backups and I would recommend an AppleCare extended warranty so that your MacBook is covered during the majority of your time in college. Nothing is worse than having your machine out of commission when you have a project due.

A good bag/case is also essential for a college student. I would recommend something that will hold plenty of books in addition to your notebook. You might also wish to consider a security lock if you plan on using your notebook in public places. I have a Targus Defcon CL (about $30 US) that I use to keep my MacBook Pro on my desk at work. This way, I can confidently walk away from it when I need to. It's also easy to remove and place just about anywhere that has a secure place to wrap it around.

OP
D
Reaction score
You might also wish to consider a security lock if you plan on using your notebook in public places. I have a Targus Defcon CL (about $30 US) that I use to keep my MacBook Pro on my desk at work. This way, I can confidently walk away from it when I need to. It's also easy to remove and place just about anywhere that has a secure place to wrap it around.
I would have never thought about buying a lock for a laptop! Thanks for suggesting that; I will definitely look into it. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.