Do I need more RAM?

C

chris041067

Well, I have a new G4 pb, 1.25 Ghz w/ 512 mb RAM....I just got garageband and also installed soundtrack. I noticed that when I run soundtrack, it runs smoothly for the most part, even when I get up to around 20 tracks. But when I use Garageband, "part of the song was not played" after i get up around 8 tracks. In Help, it says it would help to upgrade RAM, and i have been told by others that it would help too, but my question i guess is, Why does soundtrack run so smoothly while Garageband...doesnt.?

And the reason i posted this in the hardware section is because I want to know if it would be a good idea to pick up more RAM (i was thinking a 1 Gig stick so i would have 1.25 gigs total since it came with 2 256's) And if i do up the RAM, wheres a good place to get it, other than from apple since they seem to be the most expensive? I have looked around but there are so many kinds i dont know what to look for specifically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
chris041067 said:
Well, I have a new G4 pb, 1.25 Ghz w/ 512 mb RAM....I just got garageband and also installed soundtrack. I noticed that when I run soundtrack, it runs smoothly for the most part, even when I get up to around 20 tracks. But when I use Garageband, "part of the song was not played" after i get up around 8 tracks. In Help, it says it would help to upgrade RAM, and i have been told by others that it would help too, but my question i guess is, Why does soundtrack run so smoothly while Garageband...doesnt.?

And the reason i posted this in the hardware section is because I want to know if it would be a good idea to pick up more RAM (i was thinking a 1 Gig stick so i would have 1.25 gigs total since it came with 2 256's) And if i do up the RAM, wheres a good place to get it, other than from apple since they seem to be the most expensive? I have looked around but there are so many kinds i dont know what to look for specifically.

I bought my RAM from http://MacSolutions.com. They had good pricing, good service, and I've had no problems with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
You can get your RAM at MacSolutions but it will be overpriced. My suggestion is to buy direct from Crucial at www.crucial.com. They're a direct memory maker, so there's no middle-man markup. They have a lifetime warranty, they guarantee it will work with any Mac, and shipping is usually free.

256 MB @ Macsolutions = $79.99
256 MB @ Crucial = $69.99

512 MB @ Macsolutions = $149.99
512 MB @ Crucial = $122.99

1 GB @ Macsolutions = $479.99 (ouch!)
1 BG @ Crucial = $415.99

So as you can see...there's some pretty gross markup going on over at Macsolutions...as with almost all Apple retailers. ;) Anyway, enjoy your new Powerbook! I just upgraded my RAM and it's humming right along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Osiris22x said:
You can get your RAM at MacSolutions but it will be overpriced. My suggestion is to buy direct from Crucial at www.crucial.com. They're a direct memory maker, so there's no middle-man markup. They have a lifetime warranty, they guarantee it will work with any Mac, and shipping is usually free.

256 MB @ Macsolutions = $79.99
256 MB @ Crucial = $69.99

512 MB @ Macsolutions = $149.99
512 MB @ Crucial = $122.99

1 GB @ Macsolutions = $479.99 (ouch!)
1 BG @ Crucial = $415.99

So as you can see...there's some pretty gross markup going on over at Macsolutions...as with almost all Apple retailers. ;) Anyway, enjoy your new Powerbook! I just upgraded my RAM and it's humming right along.

That's strange. When I bought my 512 MB over the summer, MacSolutions was a bit less than, or right around, $100. They were cheaper than Crucial, because I remember checking there before I bought at MacSolutions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Padawan said:
That's strange. When I bought my 512 MB over the summer, MacSolutions was a bit less than, or right around, $100. They were cheaper than Crucial, because I remember checking there before I bought at MacSolutions.
I'd say that sort of shift is normal - trading off whos taking bigger profit and such :cool:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Memory prices are like Gold prices, they are always gonig up and down.

OP
C

Chamorro

Sorry, can't tell you why Soundtrack runs better than GB; possibly due to being made for older hardware?

Anyway, can't hurt to add RAM (or even max it out).

OP
C

chris041067

one more thing...why is a Gig of RAM more than twice as much as 512?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Getting a gig or Ram is done usually with 2 X 512 sticks so about 1024 total

OP
W

Wapa18

witeshark said:
Getting a gig or Ram is done usually with 2 X 512 sticks so about 1024 total

i think he meant why is the price of a 1 gig stick more than twice as much as a 512 stick. and to answer that, i think it just has to do with the density of the memory chips on the stick of ram. it just costs more to squeeze more memory into the same amount of space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.