include .pdf document in iWeb!

Reaction score
Can you tell me please how to include a .pdf document for download in my iWeb designed website?

For music and movies, of course, I just drop it right in and it works perfectly.

With the .pdf or word document however, when I drop it in iWeb tries to display all the text from the document at the page. Definitely not what I want.

Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I think you want to create a hyperlink.

What I did was click on the T at the bottom of the application and then go up to the menu and select Insert -> Hyperlink -> File... which brings up a find panel to associate a file to the text you are going to enter.

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
Thanks for writing, xstep.

Okay, but you understand I want people to be able to download a .pdf document, right? Or a word.doc.

So you're suggeting a link to the page where that document is? And at that page they can download the document?

Please note I have iWeb enhancer, so if i need to enter html I can. I also have Dreamweaver 8, although that gets a little out of my league!

Thanks again, I look forward to your reply. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The link as I first described it will not go to another page, but straight to the file of interest. When I did this as a test, the original copy of my pdf was on my desktop. When I exported the iWeb page, it must have copied it and created the proper link.

In Safari a normal click will load the pdf into the browser window because Safari has a way to display it. Other browsers often have the ability too. People can right click on the link to load it to their home machine.

There supposedly is a way to force a download, but I haven't researched that enough to get it to work and it seemed that some browsers hadn't a clue. I perhaps didn't understand it well enough to coax them right. Maybe you can get Dreamweaver to create that html and script and use iWeb Enhancer to insert the code. I've not used either of those tools.

Give it a try on a basic iWeb page. Instead of text, you might be able to use a graphic too as the link.

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
Oh! Okay, I'm sorry. I didn't read you carefully enough the first time. Okay that works good, but right now, that's just a file on my hard drive it links to. I need to upload this file to Dreamhost for this to actually work, right?

Thanks again, xstep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you "Publish to a Folder..." before uploading to Dreamhost, the pdf will be copied into the folder hierarchy you are saving to. The link on the saved page is to that copy, not the original copy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.