Leaving on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Well i'm new to the world of Macs. I got my MB on Monday. I just want to know if it is ok to leave the MB on allday. I'm constantly using my laptops on and off allday, but i don't like leaving them on incase they overheat and die.

I have a Dell Latitude D420 which i leave on quite a lot and that gets quite hot. My MB is my new baby, so i want to make sure it stays preserves and doesn't fry to quickly. :D

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Seeing as how mine has been constantly on since I bought it last December, I would have to say it'll be just fine :black:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My MBP has, I think, less than 12 hours of total down time since I bought it (same day I joined the forum and not counting sleep time).

My desktop (3 years old now) has been shut down for a total time of somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks worth of hours (only for routine cleaning of the internal of the case and installing upgrades and since it is a windows box, the reboot every time you install or uninstall anything).

Gave my previous homebuilt rigs to friends, my 4 and 5 year old rigs are all still running and are basically left on 24 hrs a day.
Lost track of my 6 yr old rig about a year ago.

I am from the old school that thought it better to leave your machine on than to be turning it on and off several times a day. Don't believe this to be near the issue it was, say 25 years or so ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.