Root Password?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini "Lion", iPad2, iPod Touch
As far as I know, the only password in my MacMini (Tiger 10.4.9) is the one for my User Account. This is the only account and is, obviously, an "Administrator" account.

If I set up a second Account, I cannot access its folders (other than the Public folder) from my existing account because I don't have sufficient privileges.

Is there such a thing as a Root Account (I'm thinking of Linux here) with full access to everything and does it have a default Password in Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
If there's only one Admin account, that password is the root password.

You can't act as root unless you specify to do so, however.

To get into root, you'll need to go through Terminal and enter the "sudo" command, then enter your password. This will grant you root privileges, but you'll have to work through the command line.

OP
mgmcc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks. That clarifies it.

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a Root Account (I'm thinking of Linux here) with full access to everything and does it have a default Password in Mac OS X?
Yes, there is a root account, it does give you access to everything. Admin accounts do not give you access to other admin accounts, root does. No, it is not enabled by default. Check this out:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106290
Be careful when you log in as root! You can do all kinds of things that the system won't let normal users do!

OP
mgmcc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check this out:
Thanks. I found basically the same instructions in the OS X Help files and now have the "root" user account enabled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.