iMac DV 400 no sound

Reaction score
I have an iMac DV 400 with no sound out for months. I finally have the itch to troubleshoot the problem. No sound comes from internal speakers, headphone jack, no startup chime, no sound period. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, ggiorgio.

Could you give us the version of Mac OS X on your iMac please? Do the About this Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
Maybe you have accidentally reduced the volume of your system to 0 Or am I being simple?

M

MacHeadCase

Go to your Utilities folder and launch Audio MIDI Setup.app and this is the way it should be set up. There could be a difference between my Audio MIDI Setup GUI and yours as I am using 10.4.9 Tiger.

The important thing is to make sure the settings are at 44100,0 Hz.

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm I was sure it would fix it...

Did you perform any maintenance tasks on your system? What have you done so far for troubleshooting the problem?

OP
G
Reaction score
So far, I've done the following:
1. Checked settings in the sound preferences
2. Tried headphones
3. Tried external speakers (non-powered)
4. Reset PRAM
5. Replaced the PRAM battery
6. Checked the Audio MIDI settings

M

MacHeadCase

Ok. Maybe you could download Onyx and have a go at the various cleaning tasks. Ever heard or used OnyX?

Anyway...

Here's the link but be extra careful on which version you download and use. You are running Jaguar, 10.2.8 so download the version that is compatible with Jaguar.

OP
G
Reaction score
I downloaded Onyx on my computer (flatpanel iMac 17") and didn't see any maintenace protocols that looked likely to restore sound.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.