I've had it with this crazy fan!! What to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The fan speed on my MBP is just bonkers. I'll be doing nothing, literally nothing but reading posts on M-F or something, and my fan will just start racing at 3,000+ RPM!! I have no idea why. I got Fan Control and changed the settings. Just to see if it would slow the fan down, I set the bottom tmp at 60 and the top at 80; the temp was currently reading 58. Nothing, the fan was still racing.

What's worse is that according to Fan Control again, the fan was only going like 1,100 RPM when I can tell just by hearing it that it was much much faster. This also happens in the middle of class when I'm listening to the lecture and the computer is just sitting there doing nothing.

I don't know if this means Fan Control is not reading the info from the MAc correctly or there's something wrong the computer itself that's making the fan act like this. I know it's not Fan Control causing the problem because this was happening before I downloaded it.

Is there way to check the fan speed and temp without a third party app? Does anyone else have this problem? Should I take it in and have the "geniuses" look at it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Sorry, I don't have an answer. I was going to rec Fan Control, but you already have it. Someone here will prob be able to help...

Reaction score
hm.. once I didn't do much and the fan was running like crazy. I checked the activity monitor and saw that Front Row crashed and took 150% CPU. Just took a couple minutes for the fan to switch off after I killed that process...

did you check the AM when you fan started spinning?

Reaction score
although you seem to already know a fair deal about this, I noticed a few firmware updates ago my fan noise was reduced drastically. Maybe it's just me - but I feel I've read other people saying similar things. Perhaps reinstalling some firmware could help out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
sounds like you have a process, frontrow, crapping out and causing the heat on the cpu to build up.

if anything , your fan is working AS IT SHOULD.

may be time for an OSX reinstall? try creating another acct first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
sounds like you have a process, frontrow, crapping out and causing the heat on the cpu to build up.

if anything , your fan is working AS IT SHOULD.

may be time for an OSX reinstall? try creating another acct first.

1. How are you so sure about this?

2. How would reinstalling OS X help with an application crashing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see what u mean now, i was giving a suggestion to someone else, thought it was the same name as OPer

ah, i see now :) oops

to your #2 richie.... in my exp with front row, as nice as the program is, its buggy. maybe a reinstall of the app would fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I see what u mean now, i was giving a suggestion to someone else, thought it was the same name as OPer

ah, i see now :) oops

No problem. Sorry if I came off like a jerk.

to your #2 richie.... in my exp with front row, as nice as the program is, its buggy. maybe a reinstall of the app would fix it.

I guess I wouldn't really know. I've only used front row twice since I bought my MacBook. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. Sorry if I came off like a jerk.

I guess I wouldn't really know. I've only used front row twice since I bought my MacBook. LOL

same here. useless on a laptop to me. now on a stationary machine, maybe

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't really use frontrow at all either. I can usually tell when my MBP is getting hot just by feeling the heat from the left side of the trackpad where the HD is.

At any rate, it still doesn't explain why Fan Control is showing obviously incorrect RPM speeds or why the speed doesn't change when I change the temp settings.

If there any way to check fan speed and temp directly in OS X instead of a third party app?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.