Open or closed while downloading?

Reaction score
does is matter if the macbook is open or closed during downloading or buring dvd on toast?!?!?!?!

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Doesn't the machine go to sleep when you close the lid? If so, your download will pause (or break) and I'm quite sure your DVD will become a coaster if you stop a burn mid through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I agree - leave it open.

Reaction score
Apparently there is software which allows the macbook to stay awake with the lid closed, but it causes overheating problems, so not recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Apparently there is software which allows the macbook to stay awake with the lid closed, but it causes overheating problems, so not recommended.

that "overheating" is a myth I think. many people cite the fact that theres little ventilation through the keyboard and the vent behind the screen has just a much space with the lid closed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
if heat was an issue with the lid down then why can you use the MB with a USB/BT keyboard/mouse and monitor when the screen is down?

I use my MB with the lid down very often and noticed no side effects yet. I just get home switch on BT and plug in my monitor and power, tap the keyboard to wake the system and away I go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC

Yes, it's called Screen Spanning Doctor. I just actually installed it today to span my desktop from my iBook to my 17" LCD instead of it just getting mirrored. Also lets you use higher than your mac's "native" resolution.

Before installing it, I could only set my 17" to 1024x768.. And after, I could max it out at 1280x1024.

You can also enable "clamshelling" which allows you to connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor to your laptop or whatever, and keep it closed while running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Careful Punk, I think thats the hack that lead to alot of dead iBook logic boards, just to warn ya.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.