• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why Do Mac users have chips on their shoulders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I still would like to see that list of doz pc only apps... But like DualG5 said - pc/xp emulator can handle it! I still have my pc and it run an OS that doesn't run on my Mac - Red Hat Linux... But if I want Linux on my Mac I can just get Yellow Dog :p

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Yeah, 400 MHz EMULATED is enough to play GTA Vice City, or Doom, or any other game out there!
Morons...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
Yeah, 400 MHz EMULATED is enough to play GTA Vice City, or Doom, or any other game out there!
I see no call to get personal or be dim enough to assume that all people running Mac and xp emulator will use a 400MHz environment :rolleyes:

OP
S

Stevejac

But Why?

This thread has finally gotten where it needed to go.

I've spent 20 years working w/ various windows versions (as I said, I used Windows 10. Not many can say that!). In all that time I never heard PC users --both power users and newbies--putting down the MAC. In fact, they just about never even mention it. It isn't on their radar screen.

So who are the typical Mac people reacting to? This sort of reminds me of the stickers you see on the back windows of cars and more often trucks that show a kid relieving himself on the logo for Ford or Chevy or whatever.

Face it folks: PC users don't care about the MAC. They don't talk about it. They don't think about it. If they are making fun of you for being a Mac person, get new friends. Really, these are just tools. Life has more to offer than arugments about computer brands.

Too bad, because the MAC clearly has some advantages even if it isn't as certainly superior as MAC folks think.

From a PC perspective, the MAC is essential... it keeps Microsoft from stopping innovation. I'm enjoying my MAC, but this aggresive attitude is an irritating waste of bandwith. Opps, I started this waste of bandwith. Shame on me!

But

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Stevejac said:
this aggresive attitude is an irritating waste of bandwith.
Not only is it a waste of bandwith, it's a waste of oxygen...
I wouldn't be surprised if a Mac user started a physical fight over a Mac vs. PC debate.
And you whiteshark, Virtual PC emulates a 400 MHz Pentium 3 on a 1 GHz Mac alone... and since none of Apple's machines are in the MHz anymore, I can safely say this. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im not sure how long some of you have been around or the experiences you have and there is no way for me to know that, but throughout my life I have used both platforms and I have heard bickering on both sides, and I have most definitely heard a whole lot of PC users, as soon as they find out you are a Mac user, "Oh, you're a MAC user" with disgust in their voice. There is plenty of animosity on both sides.. and like you, I think it's pretty rediculous since they are indeed tools, but the only reason Im getting into this discussion is because when I see such a one sided arguement. Both sides are definitely at blame for creating animosity, for belittleing the other platform, for starting physical fights etc etc and I have not seen it more on one side then the other and that could be because there is a smaller percentage of mac users compared to pc users.. so percentage-wise mac users probably bash on pc users more, but quantity-wise pc users have that cake and anytime new technology comes out on either side, the opposite users belittle that new release, just look at what happened when the G5 came out, and what is continuing to happen about the release of Longhorn. It goes both ways, and the only way to stop it is to make a personal decision not to go there yourself.

It's frustrating to see, again on both sides, such close minded statements, Mac users always... PC users always.. Apple does this.. MS does that.. Especially coming from PC users who are now Mac users and vice versa.. those people should definitely know better.

<\end rant>

Cheers!

OP
W

WilliS

personally, i dont display preference over one platform or another until someone passes judgement on what i use, with no experience of what they are talking about.

example: my roommate brought some friends over the other day, and they were playing some tiger woods golf on my PS2. one of them said something about me using a mac..nothing derogatory.. then another kid goes "i dont like macs, my friend jill has one, i dont know why she would get one.. they cant do anything"

ah hah! lol... i didnt say a thing... i just kinda chuckled... i wasnt in the conversation, so i didnt bother bringing myself into it either..

people just comment on things that they really have no experience working with....thats what bothers me.

also i find it kinda funny that no one busts on linux users lol... i guess linux is looked at as the computer guru's rebellion operating system... or at least when i was in high school it was.... all the computer nerds (i was one of them) ... were hardcore gamers...we could have records of 40 and 2 in counterstrike on a bad day..... we built computers for fun.... made jokes that only someone who had extensive knowledge of hacking, dos, or programming would understand.... and when someone was so bold as to give up on windows, they rebelled to linux... and somehow, everyone respected that...

all of my friends still use pc... and only a few of them dabbled in linux when windows ME was pissing them off... but i was the only one who went mac... and its amuzing...because if i would have went with linux instead, and stuck with it, they would consider me to be more of a "hardcore nerd"... and now all of my computer skills as a nerd have been washed away because i use a mac ;)

'tis how the cookie crumbles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I base all I have said here on personal experience - that of being let down pretty badly by windows right through ME. Yeah, it's true - both platforms are just tools, and each has some strong points like games on pc/doz. But there is precious little excuse for releasing an expensive, closed source os years before it can establish reliable performance and security (even now there is a phishing scam on Barclays bank in England that counts on open trojan exploits in pc/doz/internet explorer. Why should 2 or 3 people on Earth be enjoying the ownership of 3 huge yachts on the profits taken form that os while hard working people live in crappy flat blocks for small change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This sounds like a problem with people mostly.. and then the tools. If people were honest it wouldnt matter about security. If things were secure, we would still have the people problem and them trying to scam whomever they could.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
DualG5Lova said:
personally, i dont display preference over one away because i use a mac ;)
'tis how the cookie crumbles
Right

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well, alright then. So yeah, there was this guy, and he had a mac, and this other guy that had a pc, and yet another guy who had both. And they did there things on either or, or both, and lived happily ever after. And that's the way it should be. Not everyone is going to get it...it being how you feel about your os/hardware/programs...that's just how it is...human nature..like politics...no matter how many times I discuss some beleif I have..no matter how much more it makes sense to me...or how obvious it is that I'm right and they're wrong because of all the reasons that obviously make me right and them wrong....not everyone is going to get it.

It's like religion, christianity in my case. Many a time it just happens..you experience something, and you know that something is different after that...or you see, feel, or hear something. Whatever the case may be, that's usually how it works. Very rarely is someone going to get "converted" by arguments and or debates...because the only point of those things is to prove we are right, and the other is wrong....

With that....I think all that can be said on this forum has been said...though I could be wrong....for someone else may think many things can still be said...and I guess I'll have to live with that, for it is life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
As far as a philosophical discussion I agree. And as my last point I just wanna say that security aside. doz is a good user friendly os, almost down to where Granny May can do everything safely and easily. Until it crashes. Until spyware and worms/virus problems choke it to BSOD or a simple absolute freeze.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No... it reaches Absolute Zero! Absolute Zero! :p ;)
But umm, if you don't use the PC on the net, it's fine... but not many people have their PC unhooked to the Net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool
Based on my own experiences and experiences of people whom I am close with, I can only share what I feel about the Mac vs. Windows debate. I don't hate Windows or Microsoft for that matter. In fact I have an X Box and never regretted getting that over PS2, even though I love Sony.

Anyway I like to make the analogy of the "computer wars" like comparing two popular car brands, Honda and Toyota. When it comes down to it, its personal preference, but everyone seems to have a Honda and a particular model at that. Those same owners tend to say 'that sux or you can't do anything with a Toyota.' While Toyota owners, again IMO seem to be unique. Meanwhile PC users and this is what bothers me just say (and I did read this in this thread) Mac sux. Why? "I don't know, they just do." Ever use one? "No, they suck." Give me a break :roll eyes:

Or to not sterotype so much, just have a car (gettting back to cars for a moment) that seems to fit my personality. Same with owning a Mac. Long before "Think Different" (I think lol) I just wanted to use a computer that would pretty much simplify my life, meet my needs, be more up-to-date, (thus giving me longer "shelf life") and not suck hours of work or fun from me by freezing up. My PC back in the day was not perfect, today neither is my Mac. If it was to me, then maybe I wouldn't have needed to upgrade parts or be seriously thinking about having another Mac to replace this one. For me, Macs work pretty well. I know there are more "hardcore" Mac users then I.

Talk about switching, (remember the experience thing?) my girlfriend has an old PC running Windows 98. Yeah, its outdated, but her brother is in the IT/Networking field so he can fix or upgrade it. Still her computer gives her problems that PC users are probably familiar with. After a few years of her PC not working well, going through the emotions, and hearing me go on and on about Apple :D she is ready to switch. Her bro, the one I mentioned also has a Mac. (12" Powerbook) He got one for the same reasons a lot of PC users did. At the end of the work day he just wanted the "ease of use." As I told him, got to love the plug n play of Macs. :cool:

I definitely wouldn't say I have a chip on my shoulder, its personal pref as I keep saying. My neighbor is also a long time Mac user (Beige G3) and he's always telling me, "what would I do with a start button? run what?" Besides it better to discuss these "issues" then judge someone.

Everyone knows a Mac is cool. Can you make a fish tank out of a PC? I didn't think so. Well I guess you could, but it wouldn't be as sweet! ;)

Reaction score
Isn't everybody tired of these STUPID arguments or discussions? The reason why most of this bashing starts in this forum is because of someone asking "What is better... Windows, or Mac?" Then people give heir opinions and it turns into an argument. Why do you have to bash other OS's.... just be happy with what you have. Or another thread like this will show up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
People here come from various back grounds, have different hardware experiences; some bad, some good. They compare different systems with different OS's.. and it's not always the hardware or software at fault. In my opinion, the only reason why Apple systems work the way they do, is because they tune and test their own OS with their own hardware. If Microsoft entered the hardware manufacturing and OEM system market with their own line of machines, i bet they will be rock steady.

Older versions of their OS have been known to have many crashes, appear unstable. This in term has given Microsoft a bad reputation. But with more advance revisions they are solving those problems. IMO Microsoft needs to seriously address the security holes and various back doors cause by bad coding, maybe someday they'll release some code for non certified MS developers to improve on. Maybe they'll (Microsoft) learn something from Apple with it's ADC members contributing code and applications.

Linux have over come this simply as there are a huge user/developer base out there! By the time john doe discovers a hole some other developer has already solved the problem and written/released a patch.

I'm not platform dependant, I'll never will be nor want to be... i use which ever platform that does the task in hand more efficiently. If it happens to be a PC box then so be it. If i have problems, I'll build, test and rebuild the hardware till it's suitable for my demands and use. I trust my clients don't want to spend more then they need for wasted time... after-all time is money! And money... it's sweet... makes life more enjoyable.

:D

OP
T

The Saab Pimp

i've used both. i prefer macs. and, in my opinion, windows is a very clumsy and archaic OS. i don't "hate" windows-based machines, i just prefer to use macs.

at least that's the way i see it.

OP
M

monsterfilmer

I thought I'd chime in here. ;)

As you can see by my specs, I'm a pc user.

As I've said, most of the negative attitude toward windows is usually based on one of three things.

1. Experience with an older version of win.
2. Experience with a cheap computer* or a poorly maintained PC.
3. Rumors and hearsay**

I've never priced a mac but I know they're not exactly cheap. The difference lies in the hardware, not the OS. mac users are forced to buy apple computers, no? I've known people that run the mac os on networked PCs ...but still..

Windows comes on all sorts of cheap computers. When you buy a toy computer, you can expect problems. Similarly, a friend of mine with an (2000 era) imac and has nothing but problems.. although he's a computer whiz, even he can't maintain that piece of crap. :p

If I were to base my opinions of macs on hearsay from my friend, I might be as ignorant as some of the XP bashers I see.

I've never had a problem with my vaio in the year that I've had it.

*remember, microsoft doesn't make computers.. there are PCs for less than $400. they can barely run at all, much less support the OS

**similar to the politically ignorant that bash the republican party.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep it definitely goes both ways, no doubts about it.

OP
S

sirlan

In my experience, it's "usually" PC users who have the chip (I used to be one of them) but it does go both ways. I used to do PC support and have worked with PC's for many years. Still do at work. For a long time, I wouldn't even touch a Mac. It was pure ignorance on my part. I called them "macintrash" and believed, like many PC users, that there was no software for them. I finally had enough of the maintenance requirements caused by the instability and security issues of Windows, so I went and actually tried out a Mac. I haven't looked back.
I still have an 8 year old Gateway PC that hasn't given me any serious problems that weren't caused by software incompatibilities and, of course, Win98. A fresh format every year or two always solved those issues. I'll keep it around just in case I ever need it. I prefer to use the best tool for the job and, for my needs, that's a Mac.
To each their own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.