PC vs MAC Gaming performance question

Reaction score
I need ya'lls insight.

Buddy of asked me to post on two forums (PC and Mac forums) this question.

"A game was made specifically for the PC, then made specifically (not ported) for a Mac and BOTH Computers had the exact same hardware. Which computer would run the game faster"

I mentioned there are all sorts of issues that would come up from driver quality etc. but whatever I'm posting to see what the comments will be. :cool:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
its apples and oranges. there are too many variables in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I'd have to say it'd be too close to call... unless, of course, the PC had a virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So would the results be equally as viable if we were talking about Tetris as if we were talking about Far Cry?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
So would the results be equally as viable if we were talking about Tetris as if we were talking about Far Cry?

No, because tetris is best when played on my cell phone. I love cell phone tetris, it's a great thing to do at work when you're bored.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i prefer cell phone boggle ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've gamed on both.. My iBook can play Halo rather well.. Although I have a 6800 GT in my PC, so it's obviously better.

However, my Xbox 360 either meets or exceeds the graphics of my PC.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm also wondering something. all things being equal, do you think that flamebait causes more disruption on a mac forum or a windows forum?

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any Mac forum other than this I would say Mac Forums...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
than it looks like this guy chose the wrong place. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
"A game was made specifically for the PC, then made specifically (not ported) for a Mac and BOTH Computers had the exact same hardware. Which computer would run the game faster"
If by 'PC' you mean Windows, then there is no comparison. You pointed out that the hardware is equal, and you would need Windows to run the game no matter what. There should be no question here, so I don't really understand what you are asking.
If one would install Windows on the Mac via Boot Camp, then the game would run just the same as a similarly configured Windows (non-Mac) machine.
You would be running the game on the same hardware, under the same OS.
If you were thinking of running the game on a Mac without Windows installed, then sure, the game wouldn't run at all since you also pointed out that the game was "specifically for the PC (Windows)".

:confused:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
he said, made specifically for "PC" and then made specifically for mac. not made for pc and then running on a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
he said, made specifically for "PC" and then made specifically for mac. not made for pc and then running on a mac.
Right-O. Missed that the first time around reading it.
Still, it really wouldn't change the outcome.
If the game's specs call for certain hardware and both machines have it, then the game would run equally well on both machines.
The point is still moot.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There could be issues with how the OS handles certain processes that could cause some issues....

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Seeing as the vast majority of developers tend not to put much effort into making the Mac versions of their games, I'd say the Windows version will always run better. Even putting that aside and pretending that's not the case, though, DirectX >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OpenGL, and it shows in game performance. Just look at WoW on Windows as compared to WoW on OS X (Blizzard actually does put effort into making the Mac version run well). Windows as an OS with Windows-specific frameworks is just better at handling real-time 3D graphics rendering than OS X is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yep, I've got to say I think Windows XP would be better, because of DirectX and the time and effort nVidia and ATI go to to create new drivers every two months.

But I think if you combined OS X with Direct X in a hybrid stylee, you'd get better performance because of the lower overheads and more efficient use of memory.

Bear in mind that Windows Vista runs games about 10% slower than XP because of the poor drivers at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I don't think it would matter at this point unless you're trying to run a mac specific 3d game on like a g3 or what have you. The computers would have to be so ****** since most games ported over to mac don't require as much as most of the newer hard core pc games.

Like I can run Wow on my 17" dell inspiron jacked up to 1920 x 1200 resolution with all graphics maxed and still have 60 fps. If I played it on a similarly speced macbook pro, it would probably be able to run the same, only being limited by native resolution size.

Were PC's accel at gaming is where they have games made specifically for windows and have extremely high hardware requirements. I don't see Apple being very competitive in the gaming market unless they let you start modding their systems more freely, like adding an 8850gtx and 800watt power supply to their desktops. They do have the SLI setup where you can put 4 cards in the new macbook pro, but a lot of games have problems with the SLI setup over a single video card.

No, I don't own a mac, but I'll be purchasing one in the next month or so. I'm keeping my PC's for gaming and using other programs, as BC just came out with Vista support and I'm not entirely sure I want to be in the early adopter's club this time around.

Plus I'm not sure how DX10 is going to affect mac gaming. Does OSX offer any DX support?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yep, I've got to say I think Windows XP would be better, because of DirectX and the time and effort nVidia and ATI go to to create new drivers every two months.

But I think if you combined OS X with Direct X in a hybrid stylee, you'd get better performance because of the lower overheads and more efficient use of memory.

Bear in mind that Windows Vista runs games about 10% slower than XP because of the poor drivers at the moment.

10% slower, or 10% more required resources? The games I have running on my Vista PC have no noticable difference when being ran on the same computer that use to have xp pro on it. In fact, it only takes up 2% more memory from sytem processes than xp with 2gb of memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Like I can run Wow on my 17" dell inspiron jacked up to 1920 x 1200 resolution with all graphics maxed and still have 60 fps. If I played it on a similarly speced macbook pro, it would probably be able to run the same, only being limited by native resolution size.
Try it. Full screen glow alone kills the OS X version for some reason, and it's something Blizzard hasn't been able to work around even after over a year of trying. I really meant what I said. You get better performance out of WoW on Boot Camp than you do out of WoW on OS X on the same machine.

Were PC's accel at gaming is where they have games made specifically for windows and have extremely high hardware requirements. I don't see Apple being very competitive in the gaming market unless they let you start modding their systems more freely, like adding an 8850gtx and 800watt power supply to their desktops. They do have the SLI setup where you can put 4 cards in the new macbook pro, but a lot of games have problems with the SLI setup over a single video card.
No, even games that don't require all that run better on identical Windows hardware than on Mac hardware. It's a matter of the software Apple is using. And that isn't SLI in the Mac Pros, actually. They're just video cards working separately to power different monitors.

Plus I'm not sure how DX10 is going to affect mac gaming. Does OSX offer any DX support?
Only through Boot Camp and Windows :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.