drum kits and midi keyboard

Reaction score
I was working on a track last night on Garageband, and I had no problem whatsoever playing synths, horns, guitars, etc. on my MIDI keyboard. However, when choose a Drum Kit as my Software Instrument, the keyboard, for some reason or another, doesn't recognize the kit, and I don't hear any of the Drum Kit sounds being played on my monitors when I'm hitting the keys on the keyboard.

Is there some kind of set-up I need to do so that my MIDI keyboard can play drum kits, or can the drum kits only be played on MIDI pads? I don't see any reason why I can't play the drum kits out on the keyboard, but hopefully someone here has an answer as to why that is.

Thanks!!:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
Check to see what octave you are in on your keyboard. The drum kits in Garageband are found beginning at "middle C" and a little below. I know that when I'm programming drums with my Midi keyboard I usually have to drop an octive on the keyboard to find the drum sounds that I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 512Mb RAM, 60gig HDD, DVD/CDR, OS 10.4.8
Just use the step editor in GB; it's a helluva lot easier to get a quality drum part by programming it, than playing it (unless you've got an MPC or E-Kit or something similar)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz 2GB RAM 60GB HDD
Garageband should be able to recognize your midi keyboard without much of a problem. Take note that the midi mapping for Garageband's drums software instruments follows General MIDI standard I believe, which basically means you'll find your kick on C1, snare on D1, closed hi-hat on F#1, open hi-hat on A#1, so on so forth. Google it for the full listing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.