hd is dead?

ash

Reaction score
hi guys,

i've had my ibook for about 2 years now and the other day i had problems logging in, after i entered my password it just scrolled for ages, and the laptop was making odd noises. Anyways, now when i turn on the ibook it goes automatically into single user mode, ive entered a number of commands and nothing is working, ive tryed rebooting it, putting in the osx instllation disc and holding c but thats noy working, also tried a few unix codes.

after searching the forums ive come to the conclsuion that the hard drive is dead? is there any way i can get it to work again? i dont care about wiping the disk, thats fine, i just want it 2 work again, are there any unix codes to wipe the disk? i cant get out of single user mode.....

thanks alot for your assistance guys and i would really appreciate help on this matter.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
If trying to boot from the install disc is not working, you have other issues (possible in addition to hd failure). Can you boot into open firmware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Resetting the PRAM should get rid of the lined code. Hold the 'Command' 'Option' 'P' 'R' down apon starting up then it should restart with a chime and no lined code. After that, I would try to reformat/reinstall and go from there.

OP
A

ash

Reaction score
thanks alot for your replies.

i've tryed what spindleX suggested and so far, its working, its allowed me to re-install.

i'll keep you guys posted, many thanks.

OP
A

ash

Reaction score
ok, so i tried re-installing and after about half an hour during install it says there is an error and install cant b done. I really dont know whats up, ive become a bit disheartened with the whole situation thats why ive left it a bit, but im hoping somneone can help.

thanks.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Get your hands on a copy of disk warrior. If you're having problems with the disc's inability to find the files it needs to run the OS, DW can almost always clean it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.