MacPro ethernet problem

Reaction score
Hello all

My Mac has 2 ethernet ports, 1 is used to connect to the internet
and I want the other to connect to my Squeezebox3.
I can get the SB working perfectly with the internet cable unplugged, but as soon as I plug in the internet cable I lose the SB.

I know sod all about networking, but Im sure I should be able to use both ethernet ports at the same time!!!
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. Had the MacPro about 3 weeks now and am well impressed! :):):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2008 Mac Pro - 500 GB HD - 6 GB Ram
Hello all

My Mac has 2 ethernet ports, 1 is used to connect to the internet
and I want the other to connect to my Squeezebox3.
I can get the SB working perfectly with the internet cable unplugged, but as soon as I plug in the internet cable I lose the SB.

I know sod all about networking, but Im sure I should be able to use both ethernet ports at the same time!!!
Any advice greatly appreciated.

I don't have a Mac yet, but have experienced similar issues on servers at work that have multiple network cards.

It sounds like the routing table in the OS is sending the traffic out the wrong interface. I don't know how you'd find it on a Mac, but on PC command line I'd do a "route print" to see which interface is the primary and then create a static route to the other interface.

Hopefully this might give you some keywords to do a Google search. I found the below link that may be helpful.

http://www.osxfaq.com/tips/kluskens/index.ws

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Do you have two ethernet cards installed or are both ports on the same card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have two ethernet cards installed or are both ports on the same card?

I believe the Mac Pro comes with two Ethernet ports built in. Based on him having his Pro for 3 weeks, that is probably the case.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi all
The MacPro comes with two ports as standard and I can use either one to connect to the internet or the SB3, but no matter which one I plug the SB3 into, as soon as I connect the 'net I lose the SB3!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi all
The MacPro comes with two ports as standard and I can use either one to connect to the internet or the SB3, but no matter which one I plug the SB3 into, as soon as I connect the 'net I lose the SB3!!

This sounds exactly like a routing problem. Do some google searches on how to set a static route to your SB3. You'll need to know the ip address of it before you can set the route though.

Is there a reason why you don't have the SB3 hooked up to a router or a switch versus going directly to the Mac Pro?

Reaction score
I wonder if the IP addresses are clashing.

Where does the SB3 get its IP address from?
Where does your mac ethernet internet port get its IP address from?

I've been having trouble with IP addresses trying to get my PC to talk to the mac to transfer my itunes stuff. I ended up plugging them both into the broadband router and letting it give them their IP addresses.

If I were you I would try plugging the mac and the SB3 into a router or network switch and let your internet box give out the IP addresses.

Then you should be able to get the mac to see the sb3 and vice versa.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, ended up using the router and "it just worked"!!!
As twoquidtunes suggested it looks like an addressing clash but Im not network savvy enough (or interested enough) to try and sort it out.
Thanks again
John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.