Cannot install Mac 10.3 on G4 iBook!!!

Reaction score
In the beginning I was using Mac 10 server. But now that I am giving my ibook to my sister, I am trying to install Mac 10 Tiger for her.

When I boot up from the Mac 10 Tiger cd, the mac installer tells me that this software cannot be installed on this computer. They also prevent a user from install ilife on Mac 10 server. So I reformatted my hard drive and when the computer is booting up from cd, it still won't install.

I have noticed that even though i have tried erasing my hard drive, it stil has the library directory when I use the "ls" command in terminal. When I try to delete it using "rm", it says read-only. So I try to log into sudo but it says no such command. I don't have an OS so thats probably the reason why it doesnt have a root. Any advice would be helpful.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In the beginning I was using Mac 10 server. But now that I am giving my ibook to my sister, I am trying to install Mac 10 Tiger for her.

When I boot up from the Mac 10 Tiger cd, the mac installer tells me that this software cannot be installed on this computer. They also prevent a user from install ilife on Mac 10 server. So I reformatted my hard drive and when the computer is booting up from cd, it still won't install.

I have noticed that even though i have tried erasing my hard drive, it stil has the library directory when I use the "ls" command in terminal. When I try to delete it using "rm", it says read-only. So I try to log into sudo but it says no such command. I don't have an OS so thats probably the reason why it doesnt have a root. Any advice would be helpful.

Is that Tiger CD a retail version of OS X? If not, be aware that OEM copies are model-specific. For example, if it came with a Macbook, it will not work on an iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
Oh and just so you know the title of your post says 10.3. Tiger is 10.4 not 10.3, 10.3 is Panther.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have started installing with 10.3 and 10.4 retail and system specific cd. It does not let me. But when i put in the 10.4 server cd it lets me install.

I have a hunch that if I can delete the library folder on my hard drive than I would be able to install 10.3 or 10.4 on it.

But like I said I cant delete the library folder even using the terminal because it is a read-only folder that requires root access. But there is no OS and hence I can't use sudo to gain root access.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.