• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

how to send a video (DVD) via email for PC user?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I did a search and didn't find any threads, so if this has been asked and answered, please point me in the right direction!

I need to send a video on a DVD to a friend thru email. It is a short video, prob 5-15 minutes long. She has a PC and I'm sending it via my MB.

Is this possible and will she need any particular program to do it?

And puuulez tell me that I don't have to buy anything. :bone:

Thanks ya'll!

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one...? It's her birthday today and she's been away for 2 months with her sick dad. We made a video of all her friends singing her happy birthday and saying "Hi". I would loove to send it today if I could just figure out how.

Reaction score
You can't send "a video on a DVD" via email...

You can send a file via email. If it's too large to send in a normal message you can upload it to free sites that'll host it for a certain period to download. Or maybe you could upload it to YouTube...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Becky, it's a lloott of work. You'll have top get a program to rip the DVD to elementary mpeg streams. Then use a MPG splitter to get the clip out for you. Then another program to convert the clip to DivX or XviD.

Reaction score
Hello there.

Pando is maybe your answer:

http://www.pando.com/

Depending on the size (1GB limit) you can upload it to that. Get your friend to download the software and they can download the dvd via the link they get sent.

I've used this a lot and it works well. Works with windows and osx.

Obviously it saves you breaking up the files as much as you'd have to do with rapidshare etc.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yikes!

Wow! I'm so surprised! I thought you could make a video and attach it to an email like any other attachment.

When I looked at imovie HD, it says it has an option like that. Is that wrong? All this time I thought people were making quick little home movies and emailing them to family... Not true? Do most people burn to DVD's and mail them?

I checked out You Send it. I'm going to go look at pando now.

THANKS so much everyone...

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoops, 'knew there was something else to ask!

This is burned to a DVD. I threw it in to my MB and it started playing right away. Do I need to "turn" it into a movie on imovie or something? If I use pando or you send it, is it okay in the form it's already in? It's very short and I'm not interested in adding titles or chapters or anything like that.

TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can make a video to e-mail as you described above. The problem here is you have a DVD and you have to get the video off the DVD to send it to your friend. You can't just drag it off the DVD as it's not that kind of file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you have it on DVD, then it's actually a lot simpler to get out than many people here are letting on. Download a program called Handbrake. It will rip the DVD into a nice small file that you should be able to watch on any type of computer. If you tweak it a bit, you can probably make it small enough to send via email without too much of a loss in quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really don't know why I didn't mention that....really...

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have it on DVD, then it's actually a lot simpler to get out than many people here are letting on. Download a program called Handbrake. It will rip the DVD into a nice small file that you should be able to watch on any type of computer. If you tweak it a bit, you can probably make it small enough to send via email without too much of a loss in quality.

thanks, I'm dwlding that right now.

I really don't know why I didn't mention that....really...

lol, I see some of you needed to get your geek on. ;) It was interesting reading at least. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
baggss, I didnt mention it because i thought she was talking about a feature-length DVD that she wants to send only 15 minutes of.

Becky, are you sending the entire length of the DVD or just part of it?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a VHS tape of a party for my friend. It was converted to a DVD yesterday. And it's prob only 5 minutes long.

I got handbrake/mediafork. The dialog box is pretty complicated. Do I just click "rip" and leave the rest as is?

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Set the output to 320 x 240 and the bit rate to about 700k. That should give you a good small file with sufficient quality.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Set the output to 320 x 240 and the bit rate to about 700k. That should give you a good small file with sufficient quality.

do you mean "picture output settings"? It's a pop up window?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dup post, deleted

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It just finished ripping it and put it on the desktop. However after 30 sec all the audio cuts out. Should I do it again the same way or change one of the settings?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just redid it and it worked fine this time.

Do I just attach it to the email?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My email server won't take it. It's 21mb and says it will only accept 15mb. I'm going to try the hosting options now...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.