Still deciding....!!

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've only recently joined but have been impressed with the advice given to-date. I've made a couple of posting re video editing and EDIT-XTREEM has been very helpful in giving me advice!

I'm very close to switching to a Mac. My PC has crashed, I'm fed-up with it happening and would like a more stable OS! Plus would like to try something new! From various people I've talked too, I won't be disappointed if I go with a Mac, as I'm sure you'll probably all tell me!!

One of the main reasons for going for a Mac is that I'm hoping to get into video editing....I'm still trying to decide which to go for Macbook Pro or iMac. I like the thought of Macbook Pro simply as it's portable! Still undecided at the moment!!

Is there a considerable difference between 2.16 GHz and 2.33 GHz? I'm based in the UK, does anyone know where the best (and cheapest) place is to buy? It seems that Mac prices seem to remain constant everywhere you look!! Are refurbished models ok? What is the advantage to a glossy screen?

I'm looking some advice - so if you can help, I'd appreciate it! Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
1) IMO the speed difference between 2.16 and 2.33 is NOT worth the upgrade cost... Your money (again, IMO) is better spent on adding RAM.

2) Mac pricing is going to be pretty much the same everywhere, I would advise you to buy direct from Apple's website.

3) Apple Refurbs are great, and are a good way to save cash. They come with the full Apple warranty, and available Apple Care extended warranty.

4) The glossy screen is great if most of your use is in doors. The images/videos seem brighter w/ the glossy screen. I have heard a lot of complaints about glare on the glossy screen in outdoor use, in which case the Matte screen may be a better choice if more of your laptop use is going to be outside.

Welcome to Mac-Forums!!!!

Reaction score
if your going to be using your mac for editing i would deffenatly recommend you get the MacBook Pro.

Iv been using final cut pro on macs for a number of years now but i only got my first mac about 2 years ago. before that i was a PC user but that is mainly because i used it for games. the mac i currently have is a power mac g5 which is great but before the summer is over i'm going to be selling it and buying a macbook pro so that i can play some of my old pc games again and also so that i can edit on the fly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.