I want to switch soon!

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums. I'm hoping to get a 20" iMac in the not too distant future. If I'm looking to just do a lot of basic computer work. When I say basic I mean web-browsing, word processing, excel, quicken, and a few others. What do I need in terms of memory do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It's always best to MAX out RAM in my opinion... It just makes everything snappier. I have a 20" iMac with 2 GB of RAM, and I LOVE it. The things you listed will all run perfectly well with the standard 1 GB of RAM that come with the 20", but upgrading to 2GB will just make it that much quicker.

Welcome to the forums!!!!

When I say "max out", I should add that I do NOT think it is advisable to go ALL the way to the 3GB's. :D

OP
IanMalcolm
Reaction score
2 GB was what I was thinking also. Well, I looked at the iMacs on Sunday and they're awesome looking. They kinda look like a big iPod. Very nice styling by Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I have 2 gig on my MacBook and it works great for me. I do about the same amount of stuff that you mentioned, minus the Quicken part.

OP
IanMalcolm
Reaction score
That's good, that's what I'll probably go with then. I'm still a couple of paychecks away from making the switch though. I'm sure this forum will come in handy when I finally do buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums. I'm hoping to get a 20" iMac in the not too distant future. If I'm looking to just do a lot of basic computer work. When I say basic I mean web-browsing, word processing, excel, quicken, and a few others. What do I need in terms of memory do you think?

You should be fine with 1gb, you would need to bump up to 2gb if you did a lot of work with graphics and gaming and such. but I agree with RIDE. bigger/more is always better ;). one suggestion, buy the computer with the memory stripped and buy the memory upgrade aftermarket.. apple memory is way over priced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
That's good, that's what I'll probably go with then. I'm still a couple of paychecks away from making the switch though. I'm sure this forum will come in handy when I finally do buy it.

You'll find TONS of great info here, given by extremely helpful folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
IanMalcolm, your user name is awesome.

Reaction score

You're doing the same thing that I've been doing. I'm waiting a little bit before finally making the switch, but I've been actively reading up on everything Mac. There's a lot of great information here and other places and lots of very helpful information. I still don't have a Mac yet, but I already feel like I know my way around the hardware and OS X pretty well just based on my intake of information.

Check out the Switcher 101 section on Apple's site for some good basic information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
For those basic tasks, if you don't see yourself pushing for graphics or heavy mutliasking in the future, you should just go with 1GB

2GB is nice but macs are expensive as it is - I would rather buy 1GB and some extras then upgrade next year if its needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
For those basic tasks, if you don't see yourself pushing for graphics or heavy mutliasking in the future, you should just go with 1GB

2GB is nice but macs are expensive as it is - I would rather buy 1GB and some extras then upgrade next year if its needed

I agree, let it grow with your needs. I have 1 gig and it's very sufficient for me and I do about the same things that you do. I'm very satisfied with 1 and will upgrade whenever the need arises.

btw, welcome and enjoy the forums. Lots of great information here from people who use Macs every day. This is a nice, friendly forum and remember there are no dumb questions! :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.