Wireless Network cut-out?

Reaction score
Hey guys

i have learned alot about setting up a wireless network with my friends macbook.

we had setup a network using a linksys wireless G connecting 3 desktops (2 macs and 1 pc) and 3 notebooks (2 macbooks and pc)

first time it worked fine throughout the house, then started cuting out within a week or so...so i read up and changed the problem facing WPA with macs, so went to WPA2 like i read to do.

now it worked fine for 2 weeks, and now it is cutting out at random times.

dunno what to think about it, it is located 4 feet from the main breaker box of the house...did not know if EMI had something to affect it

Thanks for any help guys

~andres

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
Any wireless or mobile telephones in the house?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
using microwaves often?

OP
C
Reaction score
i changed the frequency to 2.11 MHz or something above the standard 2.4, so i knew about that

the other consideration was the microwave, but did that have the ability to kick everyone off and switch automatically to the neighbors wireless? the router is in the basement, which shoudnt be a problem with range...

so the question is, could the microwave kick everyone off and switch it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i changed the frequency to 2.11 MHz or something above the standard 2.4, so i knew about that

the other consideration was the microwave, but did that have the ability to kick everyone off and switch automatically to the neighbors wireless? the router is in the basement, which shoudnt be a problem with range...

so the question is, could the microwave kick everyone off and switch it?

No, but make sure you're not using the same frequency as your neighbor (he might also be hunting around, looking to avoid you too - which would explain the trouble-free times). This widget will help you identify what channel the surrounding neighbors are using.

Also, get your router UP as high as you can. The basement is quite possibly the worst possible choice of placement.

OP
C
Reaction score
well the basement is where they main line comes in, and i dont have a wired router to redirect it upstairs.....whats a bettter idea, i cant think at the moment lots of things going on over here

i will certainly check into that widget and see the frequency levels

sorry for hte ignorance but what is UP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
up as in higher in the center of the building

OP
C
Reaction score
oh dang sorry bout that, the capitals confused me...yesterday was hectic. I can try my best to move it up.

Thx alot guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Thanks for the Widget CWA.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.