How do you make those bars below your..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
How do you make those bars below your avatar icon increase? I know it's because of how many posts you make.. but how many posts do you need to make it increase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Its called the User Reputation System. When someone likes what you post, they "give you rep" by pressing the middle button of the set of three little buttons below your avatar and profile info. The number of points you get from that depends on who the presenter of the rep is. The more senior that member (amount of rep themselves, number of post, and several other secret recipe ingredients that mere mortals like ourselves are not allowed to know) the more rep points you get.

Rep can be positive or negative. If someone is consistently dishing out bad advice or generally behaving badly on the forums, you can give negative rep. The reduces the receiver's rep count.

The idea is to promote good behavior and provide a recognition vehicle for members whose input is generally considered sound.

So, get out there and start helping people! The more value you provide, the more rep you get! Thats the idea anyway.

Of course, the operation of the rep system overall is always a source of discussion/controversy, as you would expect, but for most people, it would seem that it does the job.

Hope this helps. Give me rep if you liked it, just to try it out. I have given you some rep as an example. To see your rep count, look at the top of the page and find the item called Profile. Click that and you will be taken to a page that shows your current rep count and any comments folks have submitted along with it, as well as lots of other useful information!

Enjoy Mac Forums!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It represents how many people you've converted to the Mac Cult.

Each dot stands for 10 people.

Kind of like bogey marks on fighter jets.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
So now I get it. Thanks to you both!

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks KoDorSean! Anyway, how come I see others with red dots? What's up with that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Well rixx03, in the same way people can say "good post" and give you positive rep, people can also say "bad post" and give you negative rep. :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
So now I get it. Thanks to you both!

As you will notice, my bar is red. That's what happens when you misbehave. I got into it with some members and mods a while back, and I'm still recovering from my misdeeds. :(

Needless to say, I cooled off for a LONG TIME, came back, and I'm working my way back up. ;)

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey TenderSurrender, thanks for the rep. But why is the dot grey instead of red or green?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
I'm not sure I like this system cause it might put nOObs (like me) off. I posted a question about using other peoples wifi-networks (and had, what I tought, a new take on it). I got corrected (thread closed) and two people sent me bad rep. That´s really not a friendly welcome.

You can´t see who sent you the bad rep wich I think is wrong. If you think someone is worth bad rep, you should have the courage to show your name.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you will notice, my bar is red. That's what happens when you misbehave. I got into it with some members and mods a while back, and I'm still recovering from my misdeeds. :(

Needless to say, I cooled off for a LONG TIME, came back, and I'm working my way back up. ;)

Oh, good luck then!

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure I like this system cause it might put nOObs (like me) off. I posted a question about using other peoples wifi-networks (and had, what I tought, a new take on it). I got corrected (thread closed) and two people sent me bad rep. That´s really not a friendly welcome.

You can´t see who sent you the bad rep wich I think is wrong. If you think someone is worth bad rep, you should have the courage to show your name.

I think you can. Just open your control panel and in the place where the rep points are showed, just click the topic name and it would automatically navigate to the poster's post then you will be able to see his/her username. But I don't know if the thread is closed.

I don't really get the fact that your thread was closed. Enlighten me please? :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

I agree, but if that rule was enforced then you may as well scrap the system as it will only incite rep-revenge. I like the rep system and think it has been tweaked enough that it's at a place where it works well, and all of this has been discussed at length before...

Welcome back Richie! Am I the only one nosey enough to ask what the argument was about? Never spoke to anyone with red rep before... my mummy told me to stay away...

EDIT: On second thoughts Richie, probably not best to mention whatever got you in trouble before. Sorry, my bad, ignore my above question. :black:

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree, but if that rule was enforced then you may as well scrap the system as it will only incite rep-revenge. I like the rep system and think it has been tweaked enough that it's at a place where it works well, and all of this has been discussed at length before...

Yeah, rep-revenge. Then there would be chaos. Soon after they'll change the rep system.:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro

Welcome back Richie! Am I the only one nosey enough to ask what the argument was about? Never spoke to anyone with red rep before... my mummy told me to stay away...

EDIT: On second thoughts Richie, probably not best to mention whatever got you in trouble before. Sorry, my bad, ignore my above question. :black:

Thanks. :)

I probably shouldn't bring it up LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hey TenderSurrender, thanks for the rep. But why is the dot grey instead of red or green?

It means the user that left you rep has not been here long enough for their rep giving to count. you have to be a member a set amount of time before your opinion counts basically..

Reaction score

LOL. Some funny stuff right there. (REP brotha).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
here is some good info on the user rep system also.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14766

someone left me this positive rep comment for my above post with no name.

"i have read alot of your posts, and its because of you I bought my macbook when i put up a post (and never been happier)...thanks!!"

I just wanted to tell whoever left that comment thank you so much.. that is an awesome comment and the best one I have gotten on this forum yet..

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.