iMac 17" - 20" - decisions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Hello this is my first post and I am on a PC - hopefully for the last time!!!!!

After a lot of research i am down to 2 machines;

iMac 17" - £675 (PcWorld)
iMac 20" - £978 (PcWorld)

I know that the differences are;
20" has Superdrive, 1gig RAM and a 2.16Ghz processor.

As I can get an external dvd rewriter for about £50.00, Is it really worth the additional £303 for the above extras?

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Craig

PS I will use it for video editing, internet, music and photo editing in that order!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I just purchased the 17' iMac. I am doing all the same things you are except video editing. Been using the Macs for years, I am still amazed at how fast this computer is. In regards to screen size, I feel, for my needs, I have enough screen, processing power, and the like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
For video editing the bigger machine is essential mainly because of the speed of the processor and the 1g ram. If possible I would upgrade to 2g of ram.
I am photo editing and with my machine some filters in PS are slow to react. Also the bigger screen can be a boon when looking at details.

Reaction score
Woah, CRAIGYBABES! PC World?! Please, don't do it. PHONE the Apple sales team and haggle. You'll probably get a deal.

Also, as far as I understand you can't take your Mac back to PC World if you have a problem. There is a warranty, but they won't touch it.

It's an Apple computer. Buy it from Apple.

I'd go for the 20-inch if I were you. Phone them. Go on.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
MartinS you certainly got my attention!!
I really never thought of going in to the Apple Store in Birmingham!! Doh! I will now though!!!! Thanks.
I must admit when I went to PCworld they didn't really have a clue - i was just going to order it online.

I'll pop in to the Apple Store at the weekend. Do they really allow you to Haggle?

Thanks for the replies.
Craig

Reaction score
Not sure about haggling in-store, but you certainly can if you phone them.

It's worth a try, though. Plus if you go to the Apple store in the Bullring you can buy it there and then!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
I agree with the first statement of [email protected] (not with the second) but only if you can afford it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Go with the 20". The extra real estate is worth it.

Since you indicated a superdrive difference, you must be comparing the 20" to the 17" 1.83GHz. I would not get the 1.83GHz. I was at CompUSA and tried to play a movie in iMovie on the 1.83GHz and it was terrible. The 17" 2.0GHz played it fine.

For $300 I would still go with the 20".

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
The 20" is £999 at the Apple store.
I have been reading more and more good things about the macs and the OSX and I'm itching to go out and buy one!! - but...........Leopard (I've heard) is coming out in June and I may as well wait 'til then. There's no mad rush to get one anyway - I'm just excited!!!!!

Just a quick question - how much would Leopard upgrade cost if I bought a mac with Tiger on now??? Or hasn't it been announced yet.

Thanks
Craig

Reaction score
It's about £80 I think. But you'd probably get iLife 07 as well.

You just need to ask if you'd you pay that amount to have three months' worth of fun...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I've heard the Mac's are a "fair trade" item which means there's not much haggling or basically none. However, you may be able to haggle for software and a "free" upgrade to Leopard at this point, especially if they think you're going to buy somewhere else. I haggled at Comp USA just before walking out of the store and ended up getting my wireless keyboard and mouse at half price. It's worth a try! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
search as the difference between 17" and 20"

Reaction score
I've heard the Mac's are a "fair trade" item which means there's not much haggling or basically none. However, you may be able to haggle for software and a "free" upgrade to Leopard at this point, especially if they think you're going to buy somewhere else. I haggled at Comp USA just before walking out of the store and ended up getting my wireless keyboard and mouse at half price. It's worth a try! :D

That's not my experience. I got what amounted to a 15% discount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.