Did I find a bug, or is something up?

T

TylerMoney

Ok, so I'm sure most of you know about cmd-w to close a finder window. I was doing some things, and at times I found that the option did not work. For example: I opened a foler, we'll call it test, and then copy dragged another foler, Tested, into that folder. I then clicked onto the desktop to bring the finder to the front. I then did cmd-w, which should do noting at this point, casue I'm on the finder, not a specific finder folder...that folder is grayed out (this was an accident, cause I didn't really ever want the folder grayed out, I just wanted to close it out). When I click back onto the folder to cmd-w it...it doesn't work. This is the only time I've found it not to work...I think..but it's weird. I can do it consistatnly. If I close the window manually, then reopen it, and cmd-w it, it closes fine.

Has anyone else found this?....does this bug you? It bugs me, there shouldn't be little mess ups like this within this os.....

I'll get over it..but it's just strange...because before I realized it only did it in some occasions, I though there was something more wrong, for I couldn't use the cmd I'm so accustumed to now.

---UPDATE---

Right after writing this post, I played with it again. I found that if I just open a finder window, cmd n, and then click outside the folder, do cmd-w outside the folder, click back into the foler and cmd-w, it doens't work. I then manually shut closed the folder, did cmd-n agian, then did cmd-w, and it still did not work...I tried this several times. Then I opened up a random folder on my desktop, cme-w it, and then reopened a new finder window, and it worked.

I've also found that if you have no floders or windows open, and just cmd-w, then open up a finder window, the same thing happens. This might be a time to fix permissions....hmmm....so weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I have had no trouble. I use cmd W to close for example a browser web page that I'm done with. It closes the finder window for me just fine, and works on anything that cmd Q for quit magicamatiaclly doesn't close...

OP
T

TylerMoney

That's not what I'm getting at. Mine does all that fine...it's just in these specific instanseous...no other time.

OP
T

TylerMoney

So I relaunched my finder..and then there were no problems. Everthing went back to normal. Does anyone know what that means? Why did the problem start up? It shouldn't have...I found some sort of freak temperary bug...the finder was acting stragely....relaunching it helped....once agian..weird.

Reaction score
I followed all your steps, Tyler, and each time the folder closed. Must be something wonky in your system. Maybe you should run First Aid from another partition or from the CD, in addition to checking the permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
OK I see.. I think. One thing is to do that kind of folder work in the directories you really want them -- I think personally it's a good idea to not use the destop as a general work area

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well whiteshark, you should be able to use anything on a good os to it's full potential....such as the desktop. I've never had a problem with it before...and now...if you read my third addition to this thread...the problem is no longer accuring...I relaunched the finder, and everthing went back to normal. So there you have it..if any of you have this freaky little thing going down, you know what to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Ok, the only thing I have had happen is a bit of a slow down after I deleted an app I was done with. Repair permissions had me right back to speed! :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

well, looks like I am all good now...did repair permissions, and don't seem to be having any problems :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.