How best to uninstall programs from OS X such as Final Cut Studio?

Reaction score
I am relatively new to the mac and am a pc switcher.
I am used to the uninstall/remove program option on Windows. Is there something like this on OS X? I don't see it and assume that it is as simple as dragging the program icon(s) to the trash can to delete. I installed the entire Final Cut Studio but then realized the only two sections of it I use are Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio. To free a lot of wasted space I decided to remove Livetype, Motion, and all the other sections but it didn't free up that space. Am I doing something wrong? What is the best way to remove this and other programs completely from OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
yeah, I've wondered this for a while too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Alot of people simply use the finder and search for the files.

Theres also a program called AppZapper, but it isnt free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
The bulk of the data should be stored in the actual program (or in the folder with the actual program). There will be additional preference files, crash logs, etc. stored in other places on your hard drive, but their size should be insignificant compared to the actual application.

OP
M
Reaction score
Maybe I will check into AppZapper but I guess in general those files in the preferences, crash logs, etc. are insignificant. Maybe I didn't have as much space as I thought before I installed Final Cut Studio. I know there's always the option of a complete reinstall of my Mac from the discs that came with it but I'd hate to do that. If anything I'd wait to do that until i get the new Adobe Suite, Office 2008, as well as the new OS X, iLife, and iWorks.
I've heard that some programs have a uninstall option if you put the original install disc back in but I can't find this for Final Cut Studio.

Reaction score
Maybe I will check into AppZapper but I guess in general those files in the preferences, crash logs, etc. are insignificant.
If all those parts of the application you don't need were installed in the Application folder when you dragged in the program's icon, they are still there and taking up space. You can look inside the icon to see all its parts that make up the application because the icon is just another folder. That's why you can uninstall the bulk of an application by trashing it.

To look inside the application's icon/folder, right-click it and choose "Show Package Contents." But don't delete anything inside because you might kill something that also makes the parts work that you still need.

Because the application is in a folder, you can see how much drive space the program takes up.

Open the Applications folder, and in the menu bar under View, change it to "as List."

If all the applications' icon/folder sizes consist only of dashes, go back under View and choose "Show View Options." At the top of that window, click on "This Window Only." At the bottom, click on "Calculate all sizes."

"Calculate all sizes" is set to off by default because way back when, computers would take too much time and CPU cycles repeatedly and uselessly calculating a bunch of folder sizes every time the folder opened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.