Imac won't load OS

R

random

I recently upgraded the hard drive in my rev B imac from 4gb to 40gb.
The drive was correctly inserted and I initialised it properly when booting from the Mac OS install CD.
The OS installed without any problems and I reboot, but when I reboot there is just a small folder on screen, which flashes betweena question mark and the mac smiley face.
After about 10 seconds the blinking will stop and all that is on the screen is the folder with a face on it and it wont go any further

Oh and by the way I have tried to install Mac OS 8.5 and 8.6 but neither will work. I have also tried initialising the drive with extended and standard formats, I have tried an 8gb partition at the start to install the OS onto and Im out of ideas.

Im guessing the hard drive is not faulty because it was initialised and written onto during the install so Im kind of stuck here

Reaction score
random said:
I recently upgraded the hard drive in my rev B imac from 4gb to 40gb.
The drive was correctly inserted and I initialised it properly when booting from the Mac OS install CD.
The OS installed without any problems and I reboot, but when I reboot there is just a small folder on screen, which flashes betweena question mark and the mac smiley face.
After about 10 seconds the blinking will stop and all that is on the screen is the folder with a face on it and it wont go any further

Oh and by the way I have tried to install Mac OS 8.5 and 8.6 but neither will work. I have also tried initialising the drive with extended and standard formats, I have tried an 8gb partition at the start to install the OS onto and Im out of ideas.

Im guessing the hard drive is not faulty because it was initialised and written onto during the install so Im kind of stuck here

How did or did you partition the drive? On these iMacs the first partition MUST be just slightly under 8 gig and that is where the system has to go. The rom wont / cant look for a valid system beyond there.

The rest of the drive can be anyway you want.

EDIT: re-reading, let me add, did you update the firmware?

OP
R

random

Ok I fixed it now. Just for reference i changed the drive jumper settings from cable select to master

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.