argghh: itunes music folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
hello all...
when im putting music on itunes from my music folder itunes will create a seperate itunes folder and with in this folder is another folder named itunes music, and itunes is putting music files in this folder and it ends up taking 15.36gb of space on my hard drive. is there anyway to avoid this? i dont want itunes to copy files i already have into another folder and take up more space on my hard drive..this is so frustrating i already tried something along the lines of:

going into preferences
advanced tab
then changing the itunes music folder location, and it total screwed up my music folder by creating a whole bunch of folders, some containing 1 song and other 3-5 songs. while deleting alot of my other songs :(

please help...at this point ive deleted my original music folder and am starting over. (this is for my desktop pc, my mbp doesnt have enough space for all my music)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Open iTunes Prefs. Go to the advanced tab, and uncheck "copy to itunes folder"

Reaction score
Where do people even get music files from? I mean music files that are so freely moveable.

Usually you buy it on iTunes or rip it off a CD or.... ohhhh, so you're *that* type of person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that Yogi...

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where do people even get music files from? I mean music files that are so freely moveable.

Usually you buy it on iTunes or rip it off a CD or.... ohhhh, so you're *that* type of person.

mine are ripped from my CD collection, my brothers CD collection, thank you very much
which is why starting over isnt so bad, its just time consuming

StretchR:
it is unchecked

Reaction score
Even in the draconian US there are a LOT of places to legally download either free music or pay for MP3s from small and independent artists. In fact most of my BEST music comes that way. Yes its freely moveable. Why shouldn't it be? When I bought an LP or a cassette or a CD I was free to share it with my friends. (Yes, the courts even said so.)

I have iTunes copy and manage it and then just delete the original. Odd though, I havn't noticed having it in iTunes organized folders makeing it take more space. I do delete the originals however.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even in the draconian US there are a LOT of places to legally download either free music or pay for MP3s from small and independent artists. In fact most of my BEST music comes that way. Yes its freely moveable. Why shouldn't it be? When I bought an LP or a cassette or a CD I was free to share it with my friends. (Yes, the courts even said so.)

I have iTunes copy and manage it and then just delete the original. Odd though, I havn't noticed having it in iTunes organized folders makeing it take more space. I do delete the originals however.

i wouldnt mind doing that, but the way it breaks up some CDs it just looks messy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
i wouldnt mind doing that, but the way it breaks up some CDs it just looks messy

Are these some CDs like soundtracks, and other mixes? If they are select all the songs in the list, and get info on them, and check the Part Of Compilation box, and it will organize them all together.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are these some CDs like soundtracks, and other mixes? If they are select all the songs in the list, and get info on them, and check the Part Of Compilation box, and it will organize them all together.

sweet thanks...i just noticed it doesnt put all the songs i put in itunes in the itunes music folder only the ones that need to be converted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.