Running Quark on 10.3 panther

L

larkhallfan

Is there any reason why the older version of Quark shouldn't run with the 10.3 Panther system on a new 1Ghz Mac? Could somebody please clarify this situation for me because I am damned if I am going to fork out the money only to find my older version of Quark will do the job fine.

I look forward to hearing from someone...... Thanks.

OP
T

thewanderer

What version of Quark are you looking to run in Classic? I have run V4 and V5 in classic and have no complaints about how it runs in classic ( although I have many complaints about Quark in general). I would recommned though maybe giving Adobe Indesign a try, V2 will work in OSX nativily as it is a carbon app. I find Indesign to be far superiour to Quark. Currently I am using Quark 6.1 on a Dual 1ghz G4 running OS 10.2.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The application QuarkXpress versions 3, 4 and 5 work in Classic.
If your satisfied with QuarkXpress stay with it and save your money. I've not found any typesetting task that I can't do in QuarkXpress.

Reaction score
Big problem with running Xpress in Classic is screen redraws. There is at least one Xtension you can download for nothing to fix the problem. Do a search on this site for Quark and redraw. The thread has a link to the Xtension.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
You can collapse and then expand the window to get it to redraw. Or you can double click on the title bar to collapse and expand. (if you have the preference set to do so)

OP
L

larkhallfan

Quark

Hi there,

Thanks so much for all your replies people - sorry I took so long to respond, been kinda busy!

I thought it was likely the shop were trying to pull a fast one to get me to upgrade and so line their pockets. Although I was almost 100% certain I wouldn't have problems (which is why I argued the point in the shop at the time), it always helps just to check. I will now have great pleasure in putting a complaint into the management of the company ;)

Cheers, and I'm now off to play with Quark! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.