I hate it!!! Stupid iChat.. grrrrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I accidentally clicked iChat. Now it asks me to register it. There is no way I can quit the application. Its so annoying. I can't cancell it. I cant quit it from the dock. I cant minimize it. I cant do anything. :mad: When I closed all other applications and tried to shut down, the iChat won't let me log off or let the computer shut down. Its driving me crazy!!!!

T

TylerMoney

Funny, I didn't have that problem. I didn't even have to register....I just put in all my info from my AIM account, and that was that...I love iChat...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I bet the registration thing may have something to do with being outside the US. If it is really a bother to register it, maybe you can force it - choose the Apple menu and see if it shows in the force quit option

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I couldn't quit it so I used Activity Monitor to end the iChat process.. smart :D

S

StarManta

Alternately (This is the one I like to do, since it always kills the program instantly) is to open up the Terminal and type killall iChat (case sensitive).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
StarManta said:
Alternately (This is the one I like to do, since it always kills the program instantly) is to open up the Terminal and type killall iChat (case sensitive).
Right, and also to do it by PID (process ID) type top, then type kill(PID) from the list ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I agree, Strider, iChat is a frustrating program. I had so many problems with iChat that I switched to AIM 4.7 for Mac.

If you want to download AIM, click here. :)

P.S.: I love your Homer Simpson avatar. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What problems did you have? I log on iChat everytime I'm online and I love it. Works just like my aim did on doz.. just differently

P

PRinMD

Well if all else fails give ICQ a shot, this way you got to IM's instead of one, since now you can add AIM users to your ICQ buddy list;)

W

WilliS

witeshark said:
Works just like my aim did on doz.. just differently

now that was profound... lol

i dont like iChat. i am the type of person who prefers simplicity in look, but not in options... which is probably why i love os x. very simple looking...yet very powerful, with any option you can think of.

but if they wanted to make iChat the same way, they would give many more options... not options like video chat...options like changing the style of iChat, more preferences... able to copy and paste a message someone sent me, and not loose their screen name..its just a really pretty, but not useful program :-\

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simpsons rule!

Beatles4Life said:

P.S.: I love your Homer Simpson avatar. :D

Cheers.. doh!

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DualG5Lova said:
now that was profound... lol

i dont like iChat. i am the type of person who prefers simplicity in look, but not in options... which is probably why i love os x. very simple looking...yet very powerful, with any option you can think of.

but if they wanted to make iChat the same way, they would give many more options... not options like video chat...options like changing the style of iChat, more preferences... able to copy and paste a message someone sent me, and not loose their screen name..its just a really pretty, but not useful program :-\

Well, the deal with IM is that you tend to use the same service that your friends use. And thats true universally. You need to speak to ur mates over IM and you have to use the same service as they do....duh!
Unfortunately all my mates use MSN and I don't like the (un)consistency of MSN messenger in OS X. I tried using Fire but its too... boring! it just turns you off.. too sad to use :eek:

Anyways, as iChat uses AOL instant messaging, I wont use it coz no one I know uses AIM. Same for .Mac and Yahoo IM. Well I guess its just my bad luck I have to stick to MSN... :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I use Proteus and it's the best one that I have found so far.

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
I use Proteus and it's the best one that I have found so far.

Looks good from the screenshots. I'll give it a go. Cheers murlyn!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.