Play iTunes w MacBook closed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
is it possible? When I'm in the office I have a Dell laptop for work - and then I have my own personal MacBook that I listen to music on & at times test different websites we have.

I was wondering if it's possible to be playing iTunes & then close the MacBook - but keep iTunes playing? I know on my dell w/ XP Pro there is an option to "not sleep when lid closed", but I can't find that option in OSX.

Anyone?

Reaction score
I don't think you can do anything on your macbook if the lid is closed, it will just sleep. It then starts up when you open the lid. You can close until there is about an inch gap and that is about as far as you can go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
there is some thirdparty software but i dont recommend it because anytime your laptop is running but is closed, the circulation is sub-optimal.

this can result in the life of your macbook's components being significantly lower

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
there is some thirdparty software but i dont recommend it because anytime your laptop is running but is closed, the circulation is sub-optimal.

this can result in the life of your macbook's components being significantly lower

If that were the case, Apple wouldn't say it's acceptable to run the MacBook in closed-lid mode-- which they do.

iBooks do not have good closed-lid ventilation; MacBooks do.

Still, I would be hesitant to do anything outside of what Apple would recommend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Keep in mind that InsomniaX doesn't work with 10.4.8/10.4.9

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.