Forced restart after opening lid...

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question (I have only had a 15" MBP for two weeks - and have loved every minute!), but does anyone have any idea why my MBP sometimes forces a restart after I reopen the lid? I had it plugged in and sleeping, and then when I opened it up a big power symbol appeared in the middle ot the screen and I was asked to confirm a restart. Have searched the forums to see if anyone else has asked about this, but no luck. Any help?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry for the newbie question (I have only had a 15" MBP for two weeks - and have loved every minute!), but does anyone have any idea why my MBP sometimes forces a restart after I reopen the lid? I had it plugged in and sleeping, and then when I opened it up a big power symbol appeared in the middle ot the screen and I was asked to confirm a restart. Have searched the forums to see if anyone else has asked about this, but no luck. Any help?

My first thought would be to reset the SMC. This article describes the process and what it is.

OP
B
Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice. I actually read this article before posting but wasn't sure whether to go ahead or not... Are there any "negative side-effects" to resetting the SMC? If not, is it something you should do regularly?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Many thanks for the advice. I actually read this article before posting but wasn't sure whether to go ahead or not... Are there any "negative side-effects" to resetting the SMC? If not, is it something you should do regularly?

None that I know of, I've had to do it on several occasions, but always in response to weird power management issues that occur on occasion.

OP
B
Reaction score
Great. Will give it a try, and then post again if the problem reappears. Thanks again for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.