foxfire app folder opens instead of browser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I've had this problem for as long as I've been using foxfire, about 2 months.

When I click on the foxfire icon in the dock, the foxfire download folder opens (attached) instead of the browser. At first I think I hadn't actually added it to my apps folder (MHC pointed this out). So I dragged it into the apps folder, and I've checked, it's really in there. And I deleted the foxfire download folder/icon from my desktop. I guess I had been running it off the icon not off my HD...? I'm butchering that, sorry.

But I still have the same prob with the folder showing up. B/c then I have to click on the FF icon in the folder to actually get a browser window opened up. And everytime I delete the FF download icon off my desktop, it just comes back the next time I try to open it from the dock (you can see it in my attachment).

What am I missing?

THANKS!!!

Picture 5.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am not sure how the disk image keeps popping up, but do this. On your dock icon for Firefox, drag n drop the icon onto a free space of your desktop. This will drag it out of the Dock and it should disappear in a clever puff of animated smoke.

Now, go to your Applications folder and drag the Firefox.app icon onto your Dock. The other icons will obligingly move aside to make room.

Now launch Firefox from the Dock. If you still get the download folder popup behavior, it would appear that you dumped the entire download folder into your Applications folder, not the app itself.

To fix this, remove the icon you just placed in the Dock per the above "recipe". Go back to your Applications folder and drag the Firefox item back out onto your desktop. Now double click it and when the window opens, drag just the Firefox.app icon to your Applications folder. You can do this right within the window the Firefox's installer opened.

Now, closes the intaller window and drag the whole desktop item to the trash. Empty the trash.

Go back to your Applications folder and launch Firefox.app. Hopefully all is well now. If it is, drag the Firefox.app icon from the Applications folder onto your Dock.

Done!!

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
That seemed to work like a charm! I just had to do the first step. And so far it's working fine. That's been driving me nuts!

Dare I ask why your fix worked? If it would take a long time to answer, you don't have to explain. I'm just endlessly curious.

THANKS again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you JUST did the first step (deleting your original Dock icon and recreating it from your Applications folder) I can only conclude that at one time you must have dragged the entire download folder's icon to the dock. Since you said you had long since deleted that, this doesn't make sense to me.

So, the short answer is "I am not sure!" :dive:

What *is* clear is that the icon on the Dock did NOT point to the Firefox.app application, and you fixed that by recreating it. Good work! ...and I am glad that all is well now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.