apps not recognising admin password...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Recently, several applications have been refusing my admin password when they prompt me to enter it for application updates and certain tasks.

I tried upgrading Neo Office today, and to complete the installation, it asks for my password, which I enter, only to have the installer tell me the password is incorrect. Uno did the very same thing when I tried to apply changes.

What baffles me is that I have set my preferences so that I need to enter my password to log in, which proves my password is being entered correctly for me to login in the first place.

I've tried changing my password (my old password was accepted there, oddly enough), and I ran several of Onyx's features hoping that might clear some things up, but still no luck. Funny that Onyx accepts my password, yet Neo Office and Uno don't.

Since nothing like this has happened before, I'm a little stuck for ideas, so does anyone have any suggestions? Trashing a plist perhaps? (though which one I'm not sure...)
I sure hope this doesn't affect any other installations that require a password.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could give any suggestions. :D

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm.

This might be along shot but... I've seen mention that OnyX has, just like MainMenu, a script to rebuild LaunchServices, does it not? Run it and see what that does. If it does not have the same task or you can't find it in OnyX, download MainMenu: you'll find it under the Rebuild section.

I would try that first, since LaunchServices is what makes the bridge between apps, files and system.

Maybe you could clean out the caches too. Did you create a new user to see if this happens there as well?

OP
dtownley1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
hey, MHC, thanks for the reply. I had a feeling you might be the first to reply :)
I had a go at that. I have both Onyx and Mainmenu, but unfortunately, neither were able to solve this little problem. Interestingly, Mainmenu didn't accept the password either, and I tried all other kinds of executions through Onyx, restarting a number of time, but with no luck.

I'll try creating a new account to see if that works, and will post back with results. Cheers!

M

MacHeadCase

Well that's too bad. You did clean out all the caches, I guess?

When did this start to happen? Can you recall if you installed a new program? Or maybe you changed something in your user configuration perhaps?

OP
dtownley1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I tried it in a guest account I created, and Uno worked smoothly there.

I only noticed this first when I tried to run Uni, after I first downloaded it no more than a week ago. The only things I've installed recently have been 10.4.9 and another system optimisation app, Tiger Cache Cleaner.

And yeah, I did all the caches, and that unfortunately didn't work. I'll try deleting any apps I got recently - there may be something there. Again, will post back with results. :)

M

MacHeadCase

Ok in the new account everything works perfectly.

Would you be willing to try this: uninstall Uno, reapply the 10.4.9 Combo update, reinstall Uno. Just to see if the sequence of installs wouldn't change anything.

Or maybe you could try first to repair disk permissions since it seems some of them are messed up...

OP
dtownley1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Ok in the new account everything works perfectly.

Would you be willing to try this: uninstall Uno, reapply the 10.4.9 Combo update, reinstall Uno. Just to see if the sequence of installs wouldn't change anything.

Or maybe you could try first to repair disk permissions since it seems some of them are messed up...

will try disk permissions. I did that only for the first time a matter of days ago though. I'll try reinstalling 10.4.9 too.

I also trashed everything Uno, re-downloaded and still the same problem is occurring. Anyway, I'll have to try to sort this out tomorrow. Thanks for all the help MHC, I really appreciate it! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.