Lost Admin Password

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a macmini issue? I have lost my login password and cant get into my macmini. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? Thanks a million!

-Josh

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if you have your install disks you should be able to reset it. not sure of the exact procedure...

edit: here we go - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh655.html

To reset the administrator password using the Mac OS X disc:
Insert the Mac OS X Install disc and restart the computer.
When you hear the startup tone, hold down the C key until you see the spinning gear.
When the Installer appears, choose Utilities > Reset Password.
Follow the onscreen instructions to change the password.
Quit the Installer and restart your computer while holding down the mouse button to eject the disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
What if he didnt have the disks?

M

MacHeadCase

This is one of the reasons why a lot of us in Mac-Forums say that it is essential to keep safely your disks that came with your Mac or, if you buy it from someone, insist to get the disks that came with the Mac.

The disks are essential for troubleshooting and reinstalling the OS and other software that came bundled with the Mac, in case something goes very wrong with the hard drive or system.

If you don't have the disks anymore, or if you didn't get them in the deal, you need to buy a full install OS. But you then loose the bundled software...

J

jackdecember

Hello,

I have just had a PowerBook G4, Mac OS X 10.4.8 I would like to ask you that if i want to reset the administrator password, do I have to use the exact cd Mac OS X 10.4.8 to start up the Mac?

Or can I use the cd Mac OS X 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 to start up the Mac?

Thank you.

Jack

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, jackdecember.

I think you must be confusing the OS versions with the install CD or DVD version. Just the Install media should work fine. Insert it iin the optical drive then restart holding down the C key.

J

jackdecember

Thanks MacHeadCase for a quickly reply.

Well, be honest I have been using a Mac for 5 days now in my life and I really like it. This PowerBook G4 I bought from a friend of mine, he used to be a student in my place and now he is back his country.

As I mentioned, this Mac I don't know the administrator password therefore I could not install some software that i need. I tried to google many days and so far what I knew is; start up the Mac with the Installation CD and hold the C key when I hear the sound.

I borrowed 2 cds, Mac OS X 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 from my friends(these are only 2 cds that they have), I just tried to put it in, hold the C key of course and it did not start. So do I need to get the cd that is exact version 10.4.8 installed in the machine to make it work?

By the way, could you please explain me what is the meaning "the OS versions with the install CD or DVD version" as you mentioned above ?

I think I asked questions that weird but hope you understand because I don't have experience in this field. And i am learning it. Thank you.

Regards

JAck

M

MacHeadCase

Well since those CDs won't work, I have a feeling those are install disks that came with another Mac. You will either need the CDs that came with the PowerBook or a retail full install Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4.x) disk. The CDs you got from your friends are model-specific.

And I said CDs/DVDs because Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.x can come in a CD or DVD installer version.

J

jackdecember

Thank you for your reply, as you said I need a retail full install Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4.x) disk. Does it mean here is Mac OS X 10.4.8 ? Thank you.

Regards,

Jack.

M

MacHeadCase

Cool. So that's what you need. Maybe you can find a copy on eBay for less. Just make sure it is the full retail install version, not just a model-specific installer disk or an upgrade disk. A full install version is what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
I bought mine from the Apple store and they installed it while i went and had a coffee and just gave me the disks, pretty lazy of me but it was in for a repair anyhow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.