a question about the design of the macbook

Reaction score
why are the I/O ports located on the left side? I have to direct all of the cables around the front or back of the macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It makes it cleaner having all the ports on the same side, compaired to a PC laptop with ports on every side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The screen's hinge design simply won't allow for ports in the back.
When it is open, it covers the back of the computer and cuts off access.
This leaves the only option being the sides and front of the case for ports.

Plus, it adds to the aesthetic of the design. It keeps the lines of the case design smooth and doesn't leave all of those junky-looking protrusions like some notebooks have.

OP
Digger
Reaction score
I'm right handed. mounting an external mouse and dealing with the cable is a pain in the butt. I have to mount my iPod on the left side of my Macbook.

it seems like a design flaw to me.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
actually, i'm right handed too, and the few times i have had a mouse on the macbook or any other notebook, i'm either cursing the cable or dongle getting in my way on the right, or thanking the designers for the usb ports on the left that keep that stuff out of my way.

so there's more than one way to look at it for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
actually, i'm right handed too, and the few times i have had a mouse on the macbook or any other notebook, i'm either cursing the cable or dongle getting in my way on the right, or thanking the designers for the usb ports on the left that keep that stuff out of my way.

so there's more than one way to look at it for sure.
Ditto :D
If the power cord were on the right side or the usb port for the mouse were on the right side, I'd be constantly battling to get them out of the way of my mouse and mouse hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I love the design, just one small thing I would change if possible, is the sharp top edge, its just under your wrists and would be nice if it was it was rounded off.

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Have you seen the size and location of the internals of a Macbook?
The harddrive and battery take up the front, leaving only a small space further back from these, although enough to squeeze in a dvd drive.
I'm right handed and see no problem with plugging in or unplugging anything from the ports.

If it really such a big hassle why not get USB hub and put that on the right of your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I am right handed, and I think the port placement is perfect. I like how my mouse cord wraps around the back of the laptop and plugs in on the other side. Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Personally I like the MacBook port locations. But then when using a mouse I use a Bluetooth mouse.

I like to have my iPod dock to the left of the MacBook - I'm right handed and the few times I do use my external mouse rather than the touchpad - I'm fairly sure I'd keep knocking the iPod if it were on the same side as the mouse anyway. I might have drifted from the point here... Oh yeah get a bluetooth mouse :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I love the design, just one small thing I would change if possible, is the sharp top edge, its just under your wrists and would be nice if it was it was rounded off.

Chris

I agree! I have a bit of the "Princess & the Pea" issues, so I thought it was just me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
im left handed. :D

OP
Digger
Reaction score
now that I think of it, it would be a bigger pain if the protrusions were on the right. a new bluetooth mouse is a smart move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Maybe they put the ports on the left because if they put them on the right, the optical drive would have to go on the left. So being as how most people are right handed, it would be awkward to have to put a disk in using your left hand. And besides, where would I put my ashtray? My left hand smokes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
I agree! I have a bit of the "Princess & the Pea" issues, so I thought it was just me...

Thirded! The edges are a wee bit sharp, but I figure if that's my only critique then I'm doing ok!:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.