Macbook pro heating problem?

Reaction score
alright well i bought the 15in. macbook pro about a week ago, i installed world of warcraft on it and whenever i start playing the computer gets pretty toasty, now the only reason im asking about it is that it gets hot pretty fast within 5-10m of gameplay, is that normal?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
alright well i bought the 15in. macbook pro about a week ago, i installed world of warcraft on it and whenever i start playing the computer gets pretty toasty, now the only reason im asking about it is that it gets hot pretty fast within 5-10m of gameplay, is that normal?

Absolutely. Be sure to keep it on a solid surface while playing. If the CPU was overheating, it would shut down as a protection mechanism. If it's working just fine, you don't have a problem.

Newer notebooks with faster, desktop-class processors will get very warm when being pushed to their limits. The reason that manufacturers are now referring to them as "notebooks" instead of "laptops" is to move away from the notion that it is to be used on your lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
Mine does the same thing, the fans rev in it while I am playing too. I hear its normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Yep that would be normal....good for keeping you warm in winter

Reaction score
hmm you say that the computer would shut down to save its self from burning out the possessor. is this a osx software feature or is there like a thermostat in the computer itself that just instantly turns the computer off when it gets to a certain temperature.? say for example one is playing BF2 running parallels or boot camp. would the possessor kill itself because osx is not running?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hmm you say that the computer would shut down to save its self from burning out the possessor. is this a osx software feature or is there like a thermostat in the computer itself that just instantly turns the computer off when it gets to a certain temperature.? say for example one is playing BF2 running parallels or boot camp. would the possessor kill itself because osx is not running?

No, it's built right into the processor - and most processors have had this feature going back several years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.