Setting Up A Network to Share Files Between OS X and XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
Important: You MUST have a password setup for your Windows user account to be able to access your shared files or drive/s from OS X

Getting Your Windows Machine Ready to Share

Obtain you Windows machine's IP Address.
Method 1:
Click Start -> Click Control Panel -> Click Network and Internet Connections -> Click Network Connections -> Right Click Local Area Connection -> Select Status -> Click the Support Tab
You should see something similar to the following

441147046_35810d5190.jpg

Method 2
Click Start > Click Run -> Type CMD -> Type ipconfig
You should see something similar to the following

441147048_84c062cba6.jpg

Setting Up A Network

Click Start -> My Network Places -> under Network Tasks click Set up a home or small office network, this will start the Network Setup Wizard -> click Next twice -> select your appropriate connection method -> Enter in a computer description (example WinXP) and a computer name (example SCOTTWIN) Click Next -> Enter a workgroup name (example SCOTTS) click next -> Select turn on file and printer sharing. Follow the rest of the prompts if any and then move on to the next step.

More Help if you need it:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hnw_wizard_overvieww.mspx?mfr=true
http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

Selecting File/s or Drive/s to Share
Navigate to the file or drive you want to share -> Right Click on it -> Select Sharing and Security -> Select the Check Box for Share this folder on the network -> Give it a name (example Win) -> Repeat for other folders or drives.

441147058_7826e28095.jpg

Firewall Setup
This Step Is Very Important, You Can Do Everything Else Perfect, Skip This Step and End Up Being Very Frustrated
My firewall, ZoneAlarm, was the reason that I kept getting a code 36, so make sure you configure your firewall, allowing access from your Mac's IP address.
I only had to navigate to the "truste Zones" and add my IP.

Setting Up Your Mac

Step 1 Finding Your Macs IP Address
Go to About This Mac from the Finder Menu

441206550_eb6efa5ce8_m.jpg

Select More Info

Select Network and Locate your Macs IP Address from the info

441206558_8f69ed7de9.jpg

Step 2
Got to Applications -> Utilities Folder -> Click on Directory Access

-> Click on the Padlock in the lower left corner of the screen and type your password when prompted -> Click the Check Box next to SMB/CIFS -> Then click on the Configure Button -> Type in the name of the workgroup that you created in the Windows Network wizard (example was SCOTTS though its Z52 in the pic)

441143450_9e0e222815.jpg

Step 3
Go to System Preferences -> Click on Sharing

Click the padlock in the lower left and enter your password when prompted -> Click the Check Box next to Windows Sharing [B->[/B]

441228268_66c338359f.jpg

Next click the Accounts button -> Click the check boxes for the accounts that you want to allow sharing with.

Step 4
Connecting To Your Windows Machine from OS X

From the Finder menu Click Go -> Select Connect To Server

441143454_e8a16fecf9.jpg

Type in the your Windows Machines IP Address

441143446_b15b067772.jpg

A window will pop up requesting the -> Workgroup name (example SCOTTS) -> user name (type in your Windows account name) -> Password (your Windows account password)
Select the File Name or Drive Name you setup on Windows to share and Hit OK

An Icon should now appear on your desktop and a window will open showing the contents of your shared Windows folder, similar to this:

441146990_c88dd192e7.jpg

That should be it. Hopefully this will help out some new Mac users like myself.
If I missed something let me know.

OP
zeroz52
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
Bump for my first attempt at a tutorial for OS X. :eek:neye:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
nice zeroz52, I definfitely missed seeing it
should be a help to some

K

Keavon

What if you have XP and Leopard? There is no such think is Directory Access! What should I do now...? Thanks for the guide though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.