iTunes 7.1.1 Upgrade Loses My Entire Music Library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Well, I have to join the unhappy throng. I did the full 10.4.9/iTues 7.1.1/iPhoto update. All seems to have gone well - I experienced none of the problems everyone else seems to have with the 10.4.9 part of the upgrade.

BUT, iTunes has lost its mind. Well, more to the point, it has lost my music. I can see it all sitting there in my Music->iTunes folder. The music is still there, but iTunes won't show it.

Any ideas from anyone on how to get iTunes to reestablish its link with the music that is very clearly there? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Dump your iTunes Library file and start again.

Also, I would delete the file:

com.apple.itunes.plist

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi baggss, thanks. Actually, I simply downloaded iTunes and installed it again, and all is well. I think the issue was Aqua4iTunes, an addition that returns iTunes to a nicer Aqua theme. I just ran that as a matter of course after the initial upgrade, as I really don't like the default iTunes theming now.

This time, after I reinstalled, I did not run the Aqua4iTunes package, and all is well. iTunes now sees my full library again, and if it is a little uglier than before, at least it works again!

Thanks for the help, and I hope that this little tidbit of info about Aqua4iTunes may help a few others.

AND baggss, welcome back man, we really missed you around here!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another update folks. I went and checked the web site for Aqua4iTunes:

http://www.paul.barlow.ukonline.co.uk/

And sure enough, there is a new version that is compatible with 7.1.x. Apparently the older version was NOT compatible as I have seen, and had the known side effect of making the music library disappear.

Doh... I should have thought of that first!! Oh well, again, I hope that this may help others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.