Need advice on a new system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
Well, im new to these forums but definately not new to the mac. Anyway, i am looking into a new mac. however with all the different ones availible i am a little perplexed as to which one to get. I was thinking of a mac mini, but i'm having second thoughts about that one. I dont have enough money to get a brand new macbook powermac or imac. So i was thinking maybe a g5 or something. In general what are the main differences between the g5 and the duo? by the way, I'll be using my new setup mostly for garageband and other sound editing programs and the like. thanks in advance for any advice

Reaction score
Most of the G5s are single cores except for a couple of dual core Power Mac models launched not long before the dual core launch.

Up to Intel Dual Core the G5s competed well, often faster and more efficent although they kicked out heat but the G5 does not come close now to what a dual core mac can do. However, a G5 is still a powerful amchine and will run GarageBand well but max out the RAM as always with anything running OS X.

Mac Minis are ok but remember you need a screen etc to use it which will bump up the cost if you don't have one already.

OP
docinsano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
my only beef with the mac mini is probably the fact that expandability seems limited and memory upgrades are tough. Do most g5's have usb 2.0?? thats all i got for now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
All the G5s had USB2, FireWire 400 and FireWire 800.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
i would actually suggest a mac mini....you can use your old keyboard mouse and display if u have them, and it is an overall better machine than the g5's. i bet you cant find a good g5 on ebay for under $600

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.