MBP not waking from sleep

Reaction score
My 8 month old MBP fails to awaken from sleep approx 50% of the time. I put it to sleep with apple/sleep and when I try to wake it, nothing. I have no choice but to hold the power button down for 5 sec until it reboots.

From what I have seen on google, this is a VERY common problem and lies with the logicboard. I have updated the firmware, done a PRAM reset andd still the problem exists.

Has anyone had the same problem and taken it to an Apple store to have it diagnosed? I KNOW that there is a problem but I am hesitant to leave my computer with them for a week and then they will say that they couldn't replicate it. I need my computer for work and being away from it for a week is a big problem. From what I have read, this is a well-documented problem and one that Apple should be either issuing a recall on or simply doing a straight repair immediately.

Thoughts?

OP
M
Reaction score
sleepy MBP

thanks for the link.. I have also done a Power Mgr reset previously (forgot to mention!) and still a problem..

looks like off to the Apple Store :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
There's a firmware fix on Software Update for this issue. The first thing I would recommend is checking that.

I just got my MacBook back from the Apple Store where they replaced my logic board for the same problem. The software fix came out the day I got the machine back--no idea if that would have fixed it in the first place.

Try Software Update first. If it doesn't fix the problem, the Apple Store staff should replace the logic board.

OP
M
Reaction score
sleepy mbp

already did the software update...nothing new to install..

how long did it take to get the logic board replaced at the apple store?? Did they have to diagnose it first or did you have them order the part in advance and then bring it in when the part arrived?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I took it in on Sunday afternoon the Genius diagnosed the issue at the bar while I was there.

It was ready by Monday afternoon. The repair was done in-store.

This was at the Schaumburg, Illinois Apple Store. Your mileage may vary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.