Apple refurb iPod nano...any experiences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
My girlfriend wants to pick up a nano for her Dad, as it's his birthday coming up. A 5G video would be more than she has to spend, so we were looking at nanos.

2GB is a bit too small, so either a 4GB or 8GB would be better. Looks like I can pick up a new in box 4GB on eBay for like $150-160, or an 8GB for $180-190.

Apple sells refurb 4GB nanos for $130, which is a bit cheaper (and comes directly from apple), but seeing as its going to be a gift, it would be really tacky if the unit has scratches on it.

Does anyone has experiences with the refurb ipods? Do the nanos scratch as easily as my 5G 30GB video? I'm wondering if it would be wiser to spend the extra $30 and get a new one from a 3rd party, or grab a refurb from apple...how do these things usually look?

-Nick

RTP

Reaction score
Hi

I bought a refurbished nano (first generation). There were absolutely no scratches on it - looked as good as new. However if you're giving it as a gift I'd suggest a couple of things:

1) The refurbs come in a brown cardboard box with "Refurbished Product" printed on it. If giving it as a gift I'd suggest re-packaging it before giving it to him (maybe buy a case for it, and wrap it up in that...)

2) The first one they sent me was dead on arrival (Apple was very helpful and sent a new one out the next day) so I'd suggest giving it a try first (although I'm sure 99% of the refurbs are perfect - just bad luck for me). As it's a gift it'd probably be nice to charge the battery and put a few songs on it first anyway - that'd give you the added benefit of being able to test it first.

I'd say go for it - refurbs are generally great value for money

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
got a refurb 8gb gen2 nano here.

was 40$ cheaper, no problems with it, perfect shape. only thing i notice is, maybe its just the gen2 nanos, the "electric noise" from the flash memory seems much more noticable on the new nanos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I bought my daughter a refurbed first gen Nano. It works perfectly and looks flawless.

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a refurbished ipod too. Can you buy the Applecare plan for a refurbished ipod?

RTP

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a refurbished ipod too. Can you buy the Applecare plan for a refurbished ipod?

Yes - you should be able buy it from the same page where you buy the refurbished iPod

They come with the normal one year warranty too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I have two iPod 30Gig Videos which have been great! Both came in plain brown boxes with full warrantees and both have worked just like if purchased new. I have no problems purchasing refurbished Apple products.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to hear that the refurbs seem to be good experiences for people. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb Apple product for myself, but my girlfriend and I were a bit apprehensive about one as a gift.

Sounds like she'll be going that route. I appreciate all the replies.

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.