Intego warns of first Mac OS X Trojan Horse

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Heh. My point was that it really exists. I hate when hardcore Mac fanboys jump up and down screaming "NOOEZ thr s n0 vrs fr pnthr" or "mcsx r prfct" or stupid stuff like that.
I know that its not a serious threat, but the point is, its out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I never said any of that sorta thing. I just point out, if anything, that any 'nix system is better off cause of the premissions control. Unix systems have been hacked... Nothing is perfect :) :D

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah it's very real, but as slashdot says, it's just a concept trojan and hasnt actually been created yet, but like rman said, it's just a matter of time. The other bad thing is exactly like rman said Intego just wanted to be the first to find one for the Mac and get the credit for it. It's kind of a mess in my opinion.. and of course it's going to get a lot of coverage.. go Intego! sheesh.. everyone knows that you go to the creator first and allow them time to get a patch out before announcing.. or if it takes too long then you can announce to get the ball rolling. Just real sad. We'll see how this plays out.

It's just like software sites.. if they sell Mac software.. they are probably ligit.. if they don't be warned that they might be a scam... the percentage of Mac users are just more trustworthy and if this type of virus does get out.. it's, again percentage wise.. will not be from a mac user.

Apple will have a fix soon. no doubts about it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yup, I bet the update is ready in a couple of weeks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Where's Mcafee Virex in all this..

I notice that Integro and Norton are getting involved, but where is Mcafee....And Mcafee Virex is what comes with .Mac......Does this mean that Virex is not as good as Norton? Or that Norton responds faster? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It seems Norton responds a tick faster in some cases. But an Apple update is bound to be out before there is a release of this thing. Intego should have reported directly to Apple like eeye always does to M$ like rman said

T

TylerMoney

Well, I think this whole thing is funny. Whether the virus is a concept, or real, the fact that everyone is getting so worked up over one virus for the mac os x that hasn't even done any damage yet. It's just some kind of show; cause now apple will update, and Integro won't make anymore money..cause all the make user know there will be an update.

S

Seeker

concerned

Whiteshark,

You mentioned for a rogue virus to modify or delete a user's files it would need permissions?

Erm.. but what if simple people like me are the only ones who use our macs and don't see a need to put a password everytime we turn on our macs? (single user logged on with default blank password)

After all I always thought one of the biggest draws to the Mac OS is its security and lack of viruses =p

appreciate any help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Seeker said:
Whiteshark,

You mentioned for a rogue virus to modify or delete a user's files it would need permissions?

Erm.. but what if simple people like me are the only ones who use our macs and don't see a need to put a password everytime we turn on our macs? (single user logged on with default blank password)

After all I always thought one of the biggest draws to the Mac OS is its security and lack of viruses =p

appreciate any help...
Well the simple answer is don't do that What are you thinking? That is the very advantage Unix type systems provides us with USE it! Use the user names and separtate passwords and permissions control and this thing is outa bounds about the time Apple releases the OS update! 'Nuff said :) :p :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
As seen here this trojan is not a real threat ;)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Seeker said:
Whiteshark,

appreciate any help...

Even though you do not log in with a user id and pass word. There are still two users on your system. The first is the root user and the other is your default log in user id, which has admin rights. Most likely you don't have root enabled, so you are okay there.

The problem lies, when an application askes you for your pass word to do some thing. That is the problem with this type of virus.

Normally when you load software you are prompted for your admin pass word. So in most cases you are okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
McAffe is indeed looking into the virus as well. They too updated their devinitions.

S

Seeker

Thanks WhiteShark and Rman, things make more sense to me now... now i 'geddit' y permissions are so important... =p

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Per MacMinute:

Mac OS X Trojan Horse claims exaggerated - experts
April 13, 2004 - 00:04 EDT Security experts and Mac programmers have slammed Intego for exaggerating the threat of what the company called the first Trojan Horse for Mac OS X. "They gave the impression that this is a threat, but it isn't," said Dave Schroeder, a systems engineer with the University of Wisconsin. "It is a benign proof of concept that was posted to a newsgroup. It isn't in the wild, and can't be spread in the wild. It's a non-issue." Rob Rosenberger of Vmyths told Wired that if anti-virus companies put out alarmist press releases, it's for one of two reasons: "Either they're delusional or they're trying to own the hysteria," he said. "This has been going on for 16 years now."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah i woudlnt worry about anything, expect an update in a while...

W

WilliS

its totally possible...you run the program with intent to use it, and it works as what you thought it would be. you are not alarmed, and your system has been virusified

its a simple trojan... here, let me give you a picture of a hot girl ;)... oh my bad, you cant open it? *evil laugh* gullible people who click on anything... yes, hot_girl.exe is a picture ;)

sorry, going back to my pc days... been there, done that... hacked some of my friends for fun :p nothing illegal besides getting smacked in school the next day for sending out "U R G4Y" in 72 size font to their printer

but anyway..back to the point... if you click on it, its gonna do what its programmed to do... a virus is only as dangerous as its been programmed to be.

also, it very well may be out there... but chances are, there arent enough mac users out there to make it spread to catch the attention of the news or anything.

in my opinion, it could be a very well placed move by a pc lover who knows enough about mac to program a trojan to make news about them being unstable because the only thing thats been in the news lately with pc's are how often windows is getting broken into, and every virus in email getting clicked on...

i find it funny actually. here at college we get email viruses like wildfire... one idiot opens a file, and the virus is on the network now..eventually, some dumb professor with a ph d in how to ruin my day will click on it and have the permission as a professor to send an email containing the virus to every address in the schools database.... then every liberal arts major who takes a college keyboarding class is clicking on the email... lol (no offence... im being as stereotypical as i can hehe) .... and i end up getting the same email 30+ times from different people.

so yea... its possible... but not likely.. not enough people to spread the virus...

thats like the flu...but it only affects 5% of the population...real epidemic ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well ok..... But the thing is it only works if it was compressed before sending. If it's unsolicited e-mail - it's bound to be trapped in the junk folder... If it's embedded in a music file it has to be run from the Finder.. Now what moron runs an MP3 from the Finder? :p It has to be forced to be a threat :) :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
Now what moron runs an MP3 from the Finder?
Someone who wants to play the file, whiteboy.
Lets say you download a song from LimeWire. So you go to open it, and your bombed. Kthxbai.
It don't matter if you open it in the Finder or not, you could open it directly in LimeWIre and your dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.