Built In Isight qualm

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here - owner of a first gen macbook pro. I love the built-in Isight and I think it could make for a cool little spy device. I'm using a shareware of security spy, and it's working out pretty well to keep track of my sneaky roommates. Anyways, my one beef with this setup is that I cannot turn off my green Isight indicator light. It just kinda gives it away if anyone actually looks at the green light.

I have searched these forums and google scrutinously for a solution and noone seems to have figured it out. Short of blacking it out with a little dab of paint, does anyone have any technical solutions?

Thanks.:dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
From everything I've read, it seems as though everyone states the green light as a downside to using the iSight for spying.

Looks like black paint it is (unless somebody else has done some in-depth study into this and actually know how to turn it off).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
take it apart and disconnect the led.

On second thought......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16 GHz
I found this cool program called ialertu. Its like a car alarm for you macbook. It works with your infrared remote. If anyone tries to do anything to your mac an alarm will go off and it will take a picture. Oh yeah, and the green light does not go on. So far it has only caught my cat tho. lol

Reaction score
I found this cool program called ialertu. Its like a car alarm for you macbook. It works with your infrared remote. If anyone tries to do anything to your mac an alarm will go off and it will take a picture. Oh yeah, and the green light does not go on. So far it has only caught my cat tho. lol

how awesome is that? :)

OP
proodaman
Reaction score
hehe, thanks for the input - I figured as much. For the record, I'm going to use latex paint so I can easily pick it out if I ever desire to have a green light again.

That Ialertu program is pretty cool, but I dig the motion sensitive goodness of Securityspy - plus the demo does everythign I want it to.

Thanks again guys, I'll update this if I ever find a way to override that light.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.