Help Please - 1.42Ghx G4 Mac Mini HD Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1GB Ram...G4 Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, 512 MB Ram...External Lacie 250GB Mini
Hi there,

I had a search around and couldn't find any post with an answer to this so I'm looking for any adivce out there.

My internal 80GB hard drive on my G4 Mac Mini died on me last weekend so I'm running off my external firewire at the moment. Ideally I'm looking to put a new hard drive into the machine, so I've decided I might as well get a better drive in the process.

From looking around I have found the following drive:

160GB Hitachi 2½ inch 5400rpm 8MB PATA
Model: Travelstar 5K160

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16176)160GB-Hitachi-2-inch-5400rpm-8MB-PATA.aspx

Now, I have no issues rummaging around intisde my mac mini but my knowledge of compatible hard drives is a bit rubbish. Does anyone have any idea if this drive would be compatible with my 1.42Ghz G4 Mac Mini? As far as I can find online PATA is the same as ATA and the name was only introduced to offer some differentiation from SATA. Is this correct?

Also to my knowledge the drive in the Mac Mini at the moment is an ATA100 drive. The above drive is an ATA133, would this caue any problems?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
nope, ATA133;s are fine. and the P(ATA) doesnt make a difference....that drive should work fine with your system :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.