New Mac user here!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :p I'm new to the world of apple comps. and I have a few (well...maybe a lot!) of questions concerning compatibility issues with other programs. Am I posting in the right place?? Let me know, if you can, and I'll post my queries where necessary.

Thanks a bunch!
mrs.biggo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
This would be where you would post your questions about programs for your computer. Just make sure to specify your OS, and the version of the program that's in question.

Welcome, and get ready to change the way you think about computers :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Welcome Mrs.biggo, it's nice to have you here. Your questions will always be respected here and it's a great place for new Mac owners to hang out. Look over the forum and check out the switchers thread for lots of great info about your new Mac. You're in for nice surprises as you use your Mac. Hope to see you around often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Welcome mrs.biggo! May you unlearn the bad things from the Windows world. May you also discover how much you can do with your new machine, and how much fun you can have doing it!

Reaction score
Welcome! I just switched over last fall and I love my Mac and you will find this forum to be very, very helpful.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, mrs.biggo. And welcome to the Mac platform.

If a search doesn't bring any results or answers to your questions, then yes, by all means, start new threads in the sub-forums where they are appropriate. Examples: hardware questions like a failing hard drive on an iMac G5 would go the in Hardware section, in the iMac/Mac Mini sub-forum.

Just remember that the title of the topic is quite important: it has to be as descriptive as possible to help others search for the same problem you are having. Topics titled something like HELP!!!!!!! doesn't help much the search.

And since you're new to Mac, take a look at a wonderful thread eric put together, Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information. That thread has proven itself to be quite helpful to many members here who just switched.

Well enjoy your Mac and if you need help, we're here for you! :girl:

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you all so much!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I will definately peruse Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information before I start my postings. Most of my basic questions have to deal with "are most/any/all programs compatible with the Mac", refering to the likes of Adobe, Paint Shop, etc. But let me first wander through the forum and I am sure I'll have questions! Not very comp-savy here! And MacHeadCase....I LOVE your avitar! *snork* One of my all-time favorite characters!

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17" intel core duo, 512mb,160gb, super-drive
hi everyone..i am finally using my new imac. Just got it like an hour ago. I have alot of questions being that this is my first mac ever, but first i would like to start with..where do you go to find all of the information about your system..i.e. how much ram, gigabytes, etc.. number two when you open a program like ichat or dashboard, how do you know if you closed it, and how do you close it properly. i keep clicking the x in the upper left hand corner of the window. thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
ibfan, choose About this Mac from the Apple menu. As for programs, you can tell if they are still running as they will have a little black triangle under the dock icon if they are. Press Apple-Q to quit a program, or right-click the dock icon and use the Quit menu option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17" intel core duo, 512mb,160gb, super-drive
thanks knight...i was also wondering is there anyway to transfer your documents from a pc to a mac without having to buy a program?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.