Safari Icon

Reaction score
I've changed a number of icons on my MBP. Recently, my Safari icon has reverted back to its original icon. But, when I try to change it back using Copy and Paste, nothing happens. I tried doing the same with another application and it seems to be working. Why is Safari being stubborn with its icon. I've had the altered icon for a few weeks now.

What gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Did you make sure you clicked on the icon so it's highlighted before you hit Apple + V?

EDIT: Because I have done that on quite a few occasions lol

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes, I made sure of that. Its being weird. That and the mail icon changed back. I was able to change the mail icon but safari is being pig-headed.

OP
V
Reaction score
I repaired permissions and verified permissions twice. I fear that the last step is using my install discs to repair the drive. But, when I use Disk Utility, it does not recognize any problems.

Reaction score
Don't bother with the DVD's Disk Utility. This is the same thing without all the bother:

Restart the computer while holding down the Command and S keys until white type on a black background flows up the screen.

When the type stops flowing, the cursor will be at the bottom. Type in "fsck -fy" (without the quotes but with the space) and hit return.

When it finishes, and if the report says the disk was modified, even if the report also says the disk is now OK, run it again.

To reboot normally, type "reboot" or "exit" (without the quotes) and hit return.

OP
V
Reaction score
Don't bother with the DVD's Disk Utility. This is the same thing without all the bother:

Restart the computer while holding down the Command and S keys until white type on a black background flows up the screen.

When the type stops flowing, the cursor will be at the bottom. Type in "fsck -fy" (without the quotes but with the space) and hit return.

When it finishes, and if the report says the disk was modified, even if the report also says the disk is now OK, run it again.

To reboot normally, type "reboot" or "exit" (without the quotes) and hit return.

Alright, I'm goign to try that. I'll let you know what happens.

It says the disk is ok, without any mention of modification.

Ok, I did that. And I still have the same problem. I'm getting annoyed. *** is the problem with this god**** icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Try clearing it with command X or command delete first as something is wrong.
Best

OP
V
Reaction score
Nothing. I'm speechless. This ****ing icon is testing my patience. I think it wants to die.

Reaction score
Do a Get Info on the Safari icon and check the Ownership & Permissions at the bottom. See if it says Read & Write.

OP
V
Reaction score
I didn't think it was relevant, but I did upgrade my memory from 512MB to 2GB this morning. As soon as the computer booted up with the new memory, my mail and safari icons reverted back to default. Mail was changed back to its altered one, but since then, safari has been steadfast in its stance to **** me off.

OP
V
Reaction score
Do a Get Info on the Safari icon and check the Ownership & Permissions at the bottom. See if it says Read & Write.

Everything says read and write. I can live with the icon. But, its eating me up inside that I can't figure out what the issue is.

Reaction score
It sounds easy. I used to do this with OS 8 and 9, using ResEdit. Then I did it with Windows 95 running under Virtual PC on my G3, using RegEdit. (I turned every icon I could find into a Mac icons.)

OS X application icons are nothing more than folders, and Show Package Contents opens them. So if you duplicate Safari to the desktop, you're only duplicating a folder. Try changing the duplicate's icons, and if everything falls apart, no harm done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.