macbook won't shutdown, restart or go to sleep

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a black macbook intel core 2 duo and sometimes, for some reason, it just won't shutdown or even go to sleep.

Actually it won't go to sleep at all whatever method I use and when I try to shutdown or restart, it will quit OSX, get the blue log out screen and then there's this logo thing circling around like when powering up and then, well it just kinda gets stuck there, the logo keeps working but the macbook won't power off. I've waited for half an hour without result.

Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I would start by resetting the PRAM.

Press the power button and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key, Option key, P, and R keys simultaneously until you hear the startup sound a second time to reset the parameter RAM (PRAM).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
If it is under warranty, I suggest calling Apple. The person on the other line will coach you what to do realtime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I had the same problem. There's a firmware fix-- if you get the machine to boot, run Software Update.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Snowflake! I'm sorry to hear about your MacBook trouble. I hope with what has been posted so far in this thread you can solve this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
also, try force shutting down if all that doesnt work. (holding the power button down for about 10 seconds)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Yeah try force shutting down. I did that once. It happened when I closed my MacBook then when I opened it, the screen remained black but the sounds still worked. Then I forced shut down.

OP
Snowflake
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for not coming back at you guys sooner.
So here's a little feedback. All updates are on and stuff.

So, as long as I have my macbook on my desk, I can put it too sleep as much as i want, no problem. Can even use three ways, the apple menu, the keyboard shortcut or closing the lid.

Here's what happened today. Actually yesterday I unplugged my macbook, closed the lid, waited for the light to pulse slowly before putting it into its case. Today I get to school, open the lid, it wakes up, I try the alt+command+eject thing, doesn't work, try the apple menu, doesn't work, try closing the lid, doesn't work but when i open back my lid, it kinda shuts down. i have to press the power button for a few seconds for it to be truly shut down. then i power it up again and can put it to sleep without problem. i then get down thre levels in my school building try to wake up the thing and put it back to sleep, no problem. not a motion problem i guess.

however i have i tried once to move from my room to downstairs and it did bug.

may i add that i have a wireless mighty mouse that automatically connects to my macbook. i suspect the deconnection to be failing.

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, sorry for not coming back at you guys sooner.
So here's a little feedback. All updates are on and stuff.

So, as long as I have my macbook on my desk, I can put it too sleep as much as i want, no problem. Can even use three ways, the apple menu, the keyboard shortcut or closing the lid.

Here's what happened today. Actually yesterday I unplugged my macbook, closed the lid, waited for the light to pulse slowly before putting it into its case. Today I get to school, open the lid, it wakes up, I try the alt+command+eject thing, doesn't work, try the apple menu, doesn't work, try closing the lid, doesn't work but when i open back my lid, it kinda shuts down. i have to press the power button for a few seconds for it to be truly shut down. then i power it up again and can put it to sleep without problem. i then get down thre levels in my school building try to wake up the thing and put it back to sleep, no problem. not a motion problem i guess.

however i have i tried once to move from my room to downstairs and it did bug.

may i add that i have a wireless mighty mouse that automatically connects to my macbook. i suspect the deconnection to be failing.

any ideas?

I still suggest you call Apple if your computer is still under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
please disregard this post ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.