Does the Apple OSX keep Growing and Growing?

Reaction score
With my Windows computer, the operating system keeps on downloading massive updates and continues to take up more and more space on the HD. So much so that I don't even know how big it is right now.

Over time (except for minor revisions) does OSX start growing and GROWING?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Updates aren't just additions, they are also replacements. For instance if the update contains iphoto, you don't end up with two iphotos. The old one gets erased.

And perhaps some updates that give performance benefits might actually decrease the OS size. Because it may contain better, tighter programming which takes less space and therefore faster to execute.

However, as time goes on, OSs will of course get bigger, as the consumer demands more functionality and obnoxious special effects.

That is actually I gripe I have. When so many features are packed into an OS, it becomes unnecessarily bloated for the work I want to do. It would be nice if everything is modular instead. Like extensions from classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hey giulio, sounds like you want Linux. There a number of Linux releases that are specifically crafted to be small and fast, and where you are in control of everthing that goes into it. For example, I am running VectorLinux 5.1 on an older 450 MHz Dell with only 384K of RAM and 14GB of hard drive, and it does it all - web browsing, email, office suites, video, music... If you want small and fast, it is hard to beat something like VectorLinux, or ArchLinux, or if you are feeling really brave, Gentoo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Oh no... I'd never give up Mac's =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.